Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine surge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cityfarmer2, Mar 1, 2000.

1. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Just started doing this over the week at an idle with tranny in park engine rpm fluctuates any where from 50 to 100 rpm visible in tach needle and audible in engine noise. Suspect automatic choke but need input.

2. Rich84

Rich84 Registered Member

According to my Haynes Holly Carb book, 1. There's a fuel restriction, 2. Dirt or water in the fuel system, 3. fuel level is too high or too low (float adjustment), 4. main jet loose or wrong size, 5. power valve is sticking, loose, or diaphram is leaking, 6. There's a vacuum leak.

3. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Didn't think of that but just put the Holley 650 on about 6 months ago. I think I'll go out there and look for a vacum leak.

4. Rich84

Rich84 Registered Member

Don't know if it'll help or not, but my holly 600 was doing it at idle right after I rebuilt it. I reset the floats, and it didn't seem to help, but after about a week I didn't notice it anymore. Might have just been bad gas. Or I just got used to it. Another thing to check is the fuel filter.