Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap - 1999 or y2k 4.3L, no start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quack_Addict, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I am in the final stages of an engine swap (stock 1999 or 2000 4.3L Vortec into a Toyota 4-Runner). Everything is up to speed on the engine so far with a reworked computer and all, however I can't manage to get the engine started. I've got spark on all the cylinders, fuel delivery appears to be alright, even did a compression check - the only thing that is left has got to be something with the timing in my mind.

The engine does not even sputer, pop through the intake or exhaust, or show ANY signs of life. Initially I thought fuel delivery might be the problem so I sprayed some ether into the air cleaner - still nothing. Even if fuel delivery was a problem (insufficient fuel pressure from the Toy pump), the engine still should have fired off the ether.

When the engine turns over, you can smell some ether coming out of the exhaust. I didn't notice the smell of gas, but when I pulled some spark plugs after cranking the engine for a bit the plugs came out wet and smelling of fuel.

When attempting to re-time the engine, the harmonic balancer has TWO (2) different marks on it, approximately 75-80 degrees apart. Your guess is as good as mine which one points to TDC. I spent some time on it making sure #1 was at TDC on the compression stroke and re-indexing the distributor to where I thought it should be, but still nothing. I have NEVER seen a balancer with two distinct, identical timing marks on it.

Any ideas???? I'm almost at my wits end and the beer supply is running near critical.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

distributor 180 degrees off