Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap - 305 (egr) to 350 (non-egr)?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OneInTheSun, Dec 19, 2001.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    This basically boils down to an emissions legality question. And these might be some dumb questions, but I'm new to the engine swapping thing.
    A friend has a recently rebuilt 350 that's free to a good home. The engine id is 3970014 - a '70-'76 350 with a 2 or 4 bolt main (guy who rebuilt it says it's a 4 bolt). It's bare bones - i.e. no smog stuff. My stock '85 305 obviously has the emissions junk. I'll be under 5,000 miles for the next inspection (PA), so that means I'm emissions exempt. Even though I'll be exempt, is there some sort of law that says I still have to have the original emissions stuff on the engine? If that's the case, will I be able to put the smog stuff on the 350 block? What all is involved with that?
    Sorry for the rookie questions but I'd love to take advantage of a free 350.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?
  2. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

Sep 20, 2001
    I don't know about the laws where you live, but swapping your emmissions equiptment from your 305 to the 350 is a direct bolt-on operation. Take some picture before you start tearing stuff off of the old engine so you can remember where it all goes. I don't know if the older heads have provisions for an EGR passage or if thats just Vortec heads that don't, otherwise everything will go right back on. While you're at it, put some emmission legal headers and intake on if the funds are available.
    Wish I could have found a free 350!

1985 K5 Blazer
  3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Jun 1, 2001
    Do what I did. Call a inspection facility (anonymously of course) and pick their brains. For example, I am doing the 305 to 350 swap. My new 350 will have the EGR, but that is probably it. I am junking the AIR and the O2 sensor. I will have true duals (most likely) with two cats and mufflers versus the stock config of only one cat. Technically all that is illegal (even the two cat thing). But, the shops here said that their visual inspection simply includes EGR (because their is a big EGR sticker in the engine compartment) and cats. Then, as long as the actual emissions pass, that is all for emissions. They don't go into all teh other details.

So, if I can get my 350 to perform within acceptable emissions outputs without all the emissions crap, I am A-OK. So, give'em a call and see what they say.

Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!