Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap almost done, where is the oil dipstick?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BillyTungsten, Nov 29, 2005.

1. BillyTungsten

BillyTungsten Registered Member

It is blocked by the exhaust manifold!!!

Long story, but I've pulled the 1970 350 out of my 1973 K5 and dropped it into my 1983 c10. After bolting everything up, we discovered the hole for the oil dipstick is about an inch below the drivers side manifold, just behind the down-tube.

I have tried using a torch to bend the dipstick tube, and that sucker doesn't want to cooperate... wonder if it is stainless steel? If I could, I would put a gent 'S' curve into it and it MIGHT duck under the manifold and still allow the dipstick to slide through.

Or I could get about 6" of brass tubing and try to fab up a tube...

Failing that, I MIGHT simply plug it... the engine doesn't really burn oil, and I guess I would change the oil every 3000 miles or so and let it ride...

what do you guys think? Any tips?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Use exhaust manifolds that allow it to clear?

I know that's not a cheap answer, but that's what I'd do.

3. BROKEN-ONE

BROKEN-ONE Registered Member

here you go

get a lokar flexiable one they work great .

4. BillyTungsten

Awesome! That looks like just the ticket... $45 or so online.

Thanks, broken-one!!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

good idea!..

I ran into that once when I put a 305 in a 71 GMC K1500 I had..and the 71 exhaust manifolds blocked the dipstick hole,and I couldn't use the 305's manifold because they were weird ones from a 79 malibu that had 2 bolt flanges where the Y pipe bolted up..I eventually found another manifold in a boneyard that fit and had the "swerve" in it to miss the dipstick..

But another solution I'd forgotten about..I had stripped a 305 out of a 75 Chevy Monza with a 305,and it had the dipstick made into the oilpan,and the block had a factory freeze plug thing in the usual spot!--I had the oilpan in my shed--could have just swapped pans!..I used an old speedometer cable as a dipstick for a while until I found the right exhaust manifold I needed.. :crazy:

6. BillyTungsten

I wonder if swapping the pans would be a solution... I am really bumming right now 'cause last night, while doing 'finishing touches' I double-checked the location of the dipstick hole versus the manifold. After being cinched into place, the manifold almost entirly blocks the hole. Completely unuseable.
    If I must, I can take the headers off of the blazer and use them... a real PITA, though, the blazer is outside, sans motor, and it is about 3 degrees here.

Anyone know if the oilpan swap might work? 305 pan on a 350?

7. BillyTungsten

Allright... gonna swap the headers off of the Blazer... just picked up a 3/8" impact wrench and a 4-1/2" angle grinder w/ some cut-off wheels. When I get home after work I'll start demo-ing.

At least it is an excuse to pick up some tools!

I guess then I will have to go to a muffler shop to have them hook up pipe / mufflers from the headers back... a friend of mine is telling me to just get some glass-packs and go right off of the headers... won't that be LOUD and also prone to rusting the underbody?

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Loud, yes, prone to rusting...we live in MN, anything that leaves the garage between August and June will rust.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too much work!

I'd just go junkyard hunting for another manifold..sounds like too much work to be stripping 2 trucks in sub-zero cold..junkyards around here sell a line of brand new manifolds for about 50 bucks apeice..I'd think bolting on a new manifold would take a lot less time than putting headers on..If it were me,I'd say screw it until spring! :rolleyes: :haha: ..but I'm lazy like that in the cold weather... :crazy:

The Monza pan would likely fit OK,but they are pretty scarce ..putting an oil pan on isn't fun in the cold either..

Here's a few hack solutions!-drill a hole thru the manifold and run the dipstick tube right thru it!.. :haha: ..or put a "sight gauge" like air compressors have on the crankcase (its like a drain plug with a window in it)..just kidding.. :wink1: