Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Swap Finally finished

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Jun 13, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well, I never told anyone I was doing my swap and most probably dont care. But last night we got my new(well used, but new to me) engine fired up and it purrs like a kitten.
    Man, what a feeling to have some power again! I took out the 305 and installed a 1990 350. I hated taking the 305 out just for the fact that I have put it through hell and it just keeps on ticking!!!!!!!!!! One time I filled the entire engine with water. When I drained the oil in the parking lot we used a 5 gallon bucket and I filled almost the whole thing up.(only had about an inch to go and it would have completely filled the bucket) I also have tons of water blowing out the spark plug holes when I pulled them.
    I had my Jimmy in so deep that the water was over the seat where your butt goes.

Man, I hope that this 350 is as reliable and strong as that 305.

I think I will bronze that 305!!! :)

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Emmett,

Engine Swap, great feeling aint it. Well, let me tell you, that 350 will feel a heck of a lot better than that 305 you were running. Should last just as long. In my opinion, 350's are one of the best engines GM ever made.
    Boss

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I had a good strong 350 in my Jimmy when I sold it. Then when I bought it back off the kid he had put a 305 in its place. :(
    For ome reason though, this 305 didn't want to die and the only reason I change dit was because the oil pan started to leak abouta quart every 15 mins or so.

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - Emmett
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Congrats on your swap. I just finished mine this weekend as well. It was my first, and at times I wanted to just shoot the thing. Now that it's finished, I feel great that I did it myself. I learned so much. I know what you mean about the 305, I had one in a 77 impala and I'll tell you what....YOU CAN'T KILL THEM !! God knows I tried. Anyhoo, good job on the upgrade, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

L8r,

.Riz.

5. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Congrats! When I first began to fix up the K5 I put in a new motor with friend's dad to help. We just decided to put in a 305 because of the cost factor. I was 15 and had basically no money. I kinda wish I had bummed some money to go ahead and get the 350, but it's done and going strong for 2 years. I hope you are right about the 305's being tough. I hope to drive the crap out of it. In 2 years I've managed 28,000 miles without any problems except my brakes. Although my 17 yr old carb is starting to give me fits now. Time for a new one. ;) Oh, BTW I should have my truck pictures posted sometime tonight. My friend is letting me borrow his scanner and I'm about to go hog wild.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com