Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap gone bad

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Col_Sanders, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I had an engine built for my 87 K5 and had my friend install it. I had the builders use flat top pistons, a mild cam, mill the heads, and install an Edelbrock Performer intake. My friend who did the install did great. It looks like its all original, which is exactly what I wanted. Now the problem...

When the truck is first started, it idles extremely low, almost dying for about 20 seconds. Then the idle picks up and it runs smooth but smells a little rich. It has no power (less than the old 201k mi motor) but will run good for about 5 minutes of driving, then the service engine soon light pops on and the power drops even more to the point that it does not want to accelerate at all and keeping it going 55 is a chore. On one test drive after driving 6 miles, 2 of which the service engine soon light was on, we popped the hood and the passenger side back half of the exhaust manifold was cherry red. The engine code being thrown was a code 43, so the ecm was retarding the timing. I have spoke to numerous mechanics getting answers from a dirt dobber in the exhaust manifold to its running rich, running lean, map sensor is bad, timing is off, but friend says no way on exhaust manifold because he duct taped it up and a hammer all the way up and down the manifold and pipes didnt find anything.

A big problem is I am stationed in Virginia and the truck is in TX. I went on leave to drive it up here but obviously I didnt. Any suggestions before I have my dad take it to a mechanic and spend another thousand dollars on it?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds lean or late timing... knock sensor messin with your timing maybe?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

4. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I think you got that backwards.

Glowing exhaust would more likely be cause by advanced timing or a lean condition. Running too rich never burned holes in pistons, but lean does. Take the exhaust off and try to blow through it to see if its blocked up. Simply driving down the road @ 55 shouldnt cause enough heat to make your exhaust glow.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, lean or late timing... shouldn't be giving tech advice with other sh*t on my brain... :o

6. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

If it is running lean, why does it smell rich when idling? I am going to have my dad take it to someone since it is at his house but I am kind of tapped for money right now. He has a few mechanic friends but getting him to have them look at it isnt easy.

I will post some before and after pics later on but what the truck looked like when I bought it and what it looks like after a much thinner wallet.

Anyone can suggest any headers for a reasonable price that will keep me smog legal?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

is it carb'd or tbi? I assume since its an 87 its tbi, are you sure both injectors are working? I notice you said just one side was glowing red, could be an indicator one of the injectors is operating at a reduced capacity, and it smells rich because the other injector is injecting too much fuel for its side of the manifold, attempting to compensate.

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Timing......

Not many smog legal headers... edelbrocks makes some AIR shorty's tho... but they will make your wallet alot lighter.