Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Swap Pics...305 to crate 350HO

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudnowlouder, Jun 20, 2001.

1. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

I just wanted to share a few pics of the engine swap I did over my winter vacation. My 305 locked up on Thanksgiving Day and I finally swapped it out the beginning of January. I put in the 330hp crate 350HO Deluxe, came complete from oilpan to aircleaner. This was my first swap and I turned every nut and bolt by myself. Main problem....no way to lift the engine out from above, so I tore pretty much the whole front clip off. But she's past break in and goin really strong.

http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bikershazam

Peace
    Adam H

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Try this ......http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am swapping out my 305 next Spring. Mine didn't lock up, it just SUCKS. Anyway, what did that set you back? How long did it take for the swap? I am looking at a long block, but would be curious what you paid for the crate.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Lookin' good!

Just as an FYI, next time you do this... It's actually less work to remove the entire front clip than to mess with pulling the radiator, a/c condensor, grille, etc. Just yank out 12 bolts or so, unplug the wiring harness to the lights, disconnect the radiator hoses and tranny cooler lines and then just have some buds help you lift the clip off in one piece. [​IMG] Gives you a lot better access to the engine bay as well. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Looks good, what brand of headers did you use? You can be proud of your accomplishment.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Nice truck.... really nice now with all the work to put in the motor! Now if I can only get to that point...LOL

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Looks great, I did the same swap but mine wasn't the deluxe.
    What carb. did they give you? What did you do about the wiring etc.? I rewired mine. Anyway you look at it, there is nothing finer than turning the key to some added power. I painted mine Chevy orange. It now has about 2000 miles on it and the power is really coming around. I'm sure you will love it. <font color=red>CHEVY POWER RULES!

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

8. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

hey -- i have an 87 with a 305 that I am growing increasingly dissatisfied with. How much was the new motor? where'd you get it from? any tips?

9. nd_4_mud

nd_4_mud Registered Member

great job. It feels great to do the work yourself, it makes you proud. Hey where did you get the exhuast for the truck? It looks like the one out of summit. Nice job

10. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

I ordered the engine online from Street Rod Stuff....i paid $2995 for the engine and $285 to have it delivered form ohio to my house in maryland...that was on a box truck with a hydraulic lift gate, so they dropped it right on my garage floor...any chevy deal can get this package, but my local dealer quoted me at 4195....so needless to say i had it shipped...and it only took 2 days to arrive. It came with a Holley 4160 carb, it takes a little more work to keep tuned than an Edelbrock, but i havent had any problems with it.

The exhaust came from Jegs I believe, I bought the dynomax exhaust kit, mufflers, and headers....i'd recommend the kit, much easier than having someone bend it for me, but the headers suck....extremely hard to get to all the bolts, and i cant get to my back 2 plugs with them on...I should have gone with a nicer set but money was tight at that point...

I budgeted $4000 to do the whole swap, i had to buy things like a new flywheel because of the different rear seal, new hoses, new belts etc etc.

The wiring was quite simple....since I disgarded the a/c which didnt work, the only wires i needed to keep were the electric choke, temp guage, and the couple going to the starter...oh yeah, and since i dont have to worry about emissions testing....anything and everything related was trashed, which made my life much easier.

But all in all everything worked out quite nice, and with a 305 that was only running on 6 cyls...it sure gave the truck a nice kick......and with the headers and exhaust the engine sounds like it should be in a 68 camaro....i love the looks i get when i rev the engine and people turn to see a big truck instead of a muscle car.

--Adam H