Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap Qs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Feb 8, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Got a few questions, for starters, I'm the guy doin the diesel(6.2) to gas(350) swap on an 82 Blazer. Was wondering if anybody could recommend a good machine shop in the Colorado Springs area for my block work. Is there anyone I should stay away from?

Also, some emissions Q's, what came on the 82s for emission equipt., ie egr, cats, smog pump etc. Performance parts whise, should I only go with what says "50 state legal", or is that more for the poor guys in CA? Was told that stock exhaust manifolds from the 350 will bolt right up to stock diesel duels, was my friend correct? also is there a set of headers that are emiision legal that will bolt up to this exhaust? Oh ya, need to find a place to get CHEAP priced precision tools to do all my measurements for this rebuild, micrometer, etc. Oh, and can I use the alt. and power steering pump off the diesel? I know I'll need new brackets at least. Well I think thats all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll find more problems when I start tearing into the truck tommorow!! (finally finished wipping together my temporary shop)

Oh ya, almost forgot anybody need any 6.2 parts? lol

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by seslick77 on 02/09/02 10:48 PM.</FONT></P>

2. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Go give HarryH3 a holler, he's out in the springs. I have an uncle out there that I'll ask if I remember to mention it. All that wonderful equipment you mentioned, you'll need on a gas unit. I'm not sure though that you'd need an AIR pump if you used TBI. Yes I would use the power steering pump, other wise you'll have to convert your brakes. You see gas brakes use engine vacuum to operate while diesels don't have enough to make it work properly. So they got clever and piggy backed into the power steering unit, called hydroboost. Take a look at a gas and diesel master cylinders, they're totally different.

The flip side is that you could convert the thing and have less crap hanging around the hood. I'm sure the parts would be a lot cheaper too.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>