Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap question, (long)

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by jimbojunk, Dec 20, 2002.

1. jimbojunk

jimbojunk Registered Member

Hello, Hopefully, someone can help me. I have an 85 blazer, with a 2.8 that knocked bad. Got a "new" 2.8 engine from a yard. It's good, I heard it run smoothly before they yanked it. It was supposed to be a direct bolt swap. Buy wait, the engine wasn't an 84. From new gaskets and gook squeezed out of joints, it lookss like it was rebuilt. Based on cast numbers, engine rebuild guy said it could be anywhere from late 86 to 92. Apparently chevy did not date blocks.

As i found out, the basic block was a direct swap, but not exhaust manifold, water pump, fan, etc. Unfortunatly, i did not get the fan, fan pulley, altenator, air pump, or ps pump. The yard is an hour away and after a hassle, I finally got most of this stuff. Didn't get some of the brackets though. Identifying them, what year they came from and belt path is my question.

More information: Engine had a carburator, but no mech fuel pump.(it had an electric, got that too). it didn't have an ecu or any electronics. I plan to keep it as a carburated engine.

It also had a serpantene belt and not a vee belt(my 85 had both vee and small serpantine). Swapping stuff from the old engine would have included swapping water pump, timing cover, oil pan and maybe oil pickup. (too much of a pain). I think I got the belt path figured out, but would really like a detailed pic of the brackets with altenator, etc mounted on them. The engine will go in this weekend and except for the brackets, it should run (at least for a few minutes until i shut it off for no belt and no water pump)

I don't really care what year it is at this point, just as long as i can find the brackets. So anyone who thinks he knows what year it is and has a pic or can take one with a digital cam, would be greatly appreciated. Oh, it has no AC, by the way.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

4. thatK30guy

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Make "God" run around in circles!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

There's gotta be a few more forums he could post in! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. thatK30guy

I wanna see him post the same thread on the PBB site and see what those guys have to say to him! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You might want to talk to these people...
    [​IMG]

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Make us look like Sunday School! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. thatK30guy

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Nice to see you still have that picture!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. thatK30guy

I hope he does go over there! He won't even last as many as his 5 posts here! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That one is a keeper
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif