Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lebowski, Jan 16, 2005.

1. lebowski

lebowski Registered Member

quick question: Will my future 6.2 diesel's exhaust manifolds bolt right up to my brand new dual exhaust which is now currently connected to the 86's 305 gasser? Do the diesel manifolds exit in the same place as the 305's manifolds? Just trying to plan ahead. Thanks in advance

Bill

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Can't say for sure but i doubt it.

Are you swapping for a 6.2 because your broke or becasue you want to?

the old 6.2's are GUTLESS 160 hp with less torque than a 350. I would look for a good 350

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

'86 K5 body I bought came with a partial frame and the complete diesel dual exhaust system.

It bolted RIGHT up to me 350 when I dropped it in, but it is the "old style" manifold bolt pattern, and not the log style that the newer trucks used.

I don't believe the newer (7 bolt IIRC) manifolds will allow you to bolt it up.

You can always cut and weld (hard place, granted) sections in from NAPA though.

4. lebowski

lebowski Registered Member

I'm putting it in because I want to. I need to boost up the mileage of the blazer for these long trips between college and home. Not to mention, the 305 turned itself into a true boat anchor by burning itself up last weekend (partially my fault I suppose). But anyway, sounds like it should bolt up to the exhaust no problem? One more quick question: A military cucv uses a 24 volt electrical system is my understanding. If I replace the 24v volt starter with a 12 is that the only component that needs changing out to make the electrical 12 volt? Thanks

Bill