Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Swap Question

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by BurbLover, Aug 30, 2002.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Has anyone put the TBI system from a 350 onto a 454? I know there is an adapter that needs to go between them. I've been told it will work with the 350 injectors, just not have all potential power. (Plan on upgrading injectors next year.) SInce some of the smartest "mechanics" I "know" are on this site, I figured I'd ask. Thanks.

Mark
    aka BurbLover

"MY BURB COMING' 'ROUND!!!!"

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I wouldn't try to use the 350 throttle body and injectors on a 454. The engine will end up running way too lean, which can burn the pistons. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif The 454 throttle body has larger bores and also has higher flow rate injectors, to feed the extra cubic inches. Call around to the various junk yards. I was able to find a 454 throttle body, with injectors for $75. Edelbrock makes a TBI intake that will bolt onto the 454. The throttle body bolts onto it without any adapters. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

There is one other slight difference between the 350 and 454 throttle bodies. The connector on the idle air controller (IAC) is different. Turbo City is supposed to have an adapter to connect the 350 harness to the 454 IAC. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif You can contact them via their website at http://www.turbocity.com .

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

So, it is my understanding that I would need to get a new TBI for a 454 & two inhectors? Is that correct? If so, any idea who might have injectors reasonably cheap? I figure new would be better than used. Also, If I go with the 454 TBI, then I shouldn't need the IAC adapter. Is this correct? (In case you haven't figured it out, I am not the most mechanical guy on the block. However, I'm learning!!!)

Thanks,
    Mark

4. HarryH3

I picked mine up at a junkyard locally for $75. It's the 454 throttle body with both injectors. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif You will need an IAC adapter, as the IAC on the 454 throttle body uses a totally diffferent connector than the IAC on the 350. I've also got the factory adapter to mount the TBI onto a 4-barrel intake, but I won't be using it. I bought the Edelbrock TBI intake for a 454. But that sucker is not cheap! It was $250 from Summit. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif If you want the adapter, I'd take $20 for the adapter and the factory water line to it. (GM runs engine coolant through the adapter for some reason).

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I just spoke with the guy who has the 454 & he has decided to put it in his Burb in lieu of selling it. However, he has a 396BB for sale. He told me 200 for the engine & it would take another 200 to have the heads done. It has 10:1 pistons in it & he is thinking of putting a different cam in it. I could put this in my Burb with his Turbo 400. I'm still debating. ANy thoughts?

Mark /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. HarryH3

I think the compression ratio is too high for a daily driver. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif You'd have to run premium fuel plus an octane booster to keep it from pinging. Sounds like it would make a great engine for a drag car...

7. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I don't know if you have found an engine for your project yet, but if not you should look into a cadillac 500! I have been looking into it and as soon as I can afford it that's what I am putting in my '78. If you want to check it out, read some of the tech info at Maximum Torque Specialties. Just my $.02

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I actually picked up my 396 about a week ago. Since I only have $200 in it & I should be able to put it together for another 5-600, I'm gonna go with it for know. However, I reserve the right to build another one later.