Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimbojunk, Dec 20, 2002.

1. jimbojunk

jimbojunk Registered Member

Hello, I put this post here after being turned down for an answer on the k5 forum. I put it on the k-5 because there was only a handfull of posts on the s-10 forum. This isn't a brain surgery question and I would hope there is someone out there with access to a picture or two. And to reply to those who did answer: Yes, the basic block is the same as most 2.8s. As i indicated in the text (and yes, it is long), changing brackets, etc, also means water pump, timing cover, oil pan and maybe an oil pump. I didn't go this route, cause it's too much pain. I was hoping for a simple swap but the junk man gave me a riddle. I did the exhaust manifolds and that was more pain than i wanted. (two broken off studs to drill out)

Ok, here goes the meat of my post. I have an 85 S10 4x4 blazer, with a 2.8 that knocked bad. Got a "new" 2.8 engine from a yard. It's good, I heard it run smoothly before they yanked it. It was supposed to be a direct bolt swap. Buy wait, the engine wasn't an 84. From new gaskets and gook squeezed out of joints, it looks like it was rebuilt. Based on cast numbers, engine rebuild guy said it could be anywhere from late 86 to 92. Apparently chevy did not date blocks.

As i found out, the basic block is a direct swap, but not exhaust manifold, water pump, fan, etc. Unfortunatly, i did not get the fan, fan pulley, altenator, air pump, or ps pump. The yard is an hour away and after a hassle, I finally got most of this stuff. Didn't get some of the brackets though. Identifying them, what year they came from and belt path is my question.

More information: Engine had a carburator, but no mech. fuel pump.(it had an electric, and i have that) it didn't have an ecu or any electronics. I plan to keep it as a carburated engine.

It also had a serpantene belt and not a vee belt(my 85 had both vee and small serpantine). Swapping stuff from the old engine would have included swapping water pump, timing cover, oil pan and maybe oil pickup. (too much of a pain). I think I got the belt path figured out, but would really like a detailed pic of the brackets with altenator, etc mounted on them. The engine will go in this weekend and except for the brackets, it should run (at least for a few minutes until i shut it off for no belt and no water pump)

I don't really care what year it is at this point, just as long as i can find the brackets. So anyone who thinks he knows what year it is and has a pic or can take one with a digital cam, would be greatly appreciated. Oh, it has no AC, by the way.

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

OMG!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif "God" replies with another post, the same as the others!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hello, I put this post here after being turned down for an answer on the k5 forum. I put it on the k-5 because there was only a handfull of posts on the s-10 forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he didnt realize that the same people read and post on this forum too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Go away dork...nobody cares. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif [​IMG]

Rene

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I gotta tell ya, to me this sounds like you ended up with somebody else's clusterfluck! From what i recall, the later 2.8's had the one piece rear main and yours has a 2 piece? this could also give you problems with flexplate/flywheel. as far as I can remember, gm never used electric fuel pumps with carbs. and if the block has no fuel pump spot, it is an injection block. Personally, I would get the right engine for your truck and NOT screw around with making it fit. your gonna waste alot of time and money getting what other parts you need.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do a V-8 conversion and sell the little 2.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Umm, have you followed this closely?

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Umm, have you followed this closely?

[/ QUOTE ] Not really.

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well thanks to fourwheelerjeff for the link too bad I read it to late.
    Look You old bastard the way to get help is to give respect. Espically when your new.
    As for the comments I read in the other posting. You are not the owner of a new Audi you probibly only drive your 84 Audi into the dealership and pester the people trying to make a buck with your stupid questions and comments about the 60s and diapers. Just because the spedo. in the Audi on the dealers showroom floor reads 160MPH doesn't mean it gets to 160! I have driven the new Audis unlike yourself, and being the adolesent that I am have taken it to the SPEED GOVNER thats right it has a limit and that limit is way below 160! In fact if you ever were to test drive one and get it over 55MPH you probibly would give your self a F'n heart attack!
    As for some other statments you made. "I'm leaving and never coming back" well as fun as this is please Make like a baby and head out already! Were all tired of hearing about how gramps dosn't have the money to do the job right.
    PS the S10 you "inherited" was made in the same plant in MEXICO that your '84 Audi was made, so again quite your bitchin! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Sincerly hoping you post again so I can fully unleash the inner Teen on your A$$!