Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ENGINE SWAP QUESTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TB2Blazer, Jun 1, 2003.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am removing my engine in my K5 and I was wondering if I need to completely take my transmission out or just unbolt it and support it. The only reason I ask is that I have heard 2 different people tell me 2 different things.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

You could do it either way. I have done it both ways a few times.

[Assuming you have an automatic]

To leave the tranny in just unbolt it from the block and remove the dust cover and unbolt the torque converter. And of course any kickdowns or vac lines connecting the two.

Or pull the whole thing in one shot...

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I pulled my 350/465/205 altogether. You can do it either way.
    -- Mike

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

with my 1/2 ton chev truck, I found it very difficult to get at the bellhousing bolts so I just said to heck with it removed the two bolts holding the tranny in and yanked the whole thing. The difficulty is make sure you are working on a smooth surface so you can roll the hoist. ( When I pulled mine, it was on gravel so we ended up having to push the truck backwards to get the engine out.)

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I just swapped motors in my 80 K5. I pulled the motor out by itself of course it had a straight 6 so there was plenty of room to get to all bellhousing bolts. When I put the 454 in I had the tranny out too cause I added a SM465 at the same time. easiest for me was put in the motor with bellhousing attached, then roll the trans/transfer case right up to the bellhousing on a transmission jack.

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Ya, those top bolts can be a pain alright. Try getting them out on an s10 or a passenger car with a v8. That is a real bitch.

My dad is a retired mechanic and he tells me he would pull up the carpet and drill holes in the floor when he had a problem like that. In his defense, he got paid just above flat rate and had to be quick /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would pull the whole thing so you can inspect the tranny and transfer case. This makes it easy to replace seals and gaskets and give it a good cleaning at the same time.

Good luck

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

when i put an engine back into a manual trans vehicle,- be it 2wd or 4x4- i put bellhousing on tranny and put pressure plate assembly on the input of the tranny and hang the clutch plate behind that and stick in engine and housing so then only have to worry about engaging the end of the shaft into the pilot bearing, then all you gotta do is stick in the pressure plate bolts and turn engine some manually to tighten up the plate assembly evenly, turning engine is easy with a flywheel teeth turning tool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i think this way is so much easier than yanking out 4x4 drivetrain