Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Swap/Transmission Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerguy 90, Aug 7, 2005.

1. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have a 90 K5 Blazer 4x4 with a throttle body injected 350 engine/700R4 trans with a NP241 transfer case, I also have an 88 GMC Suburban 2 wheel drive with a 454 engine/400 trans, D60 rear end, I need to dispose of one of them, what I was thinking of doing was keeping the blazer and swapping the D60 rear end into it and finding one for the front, swapping the 454/400 into the blazer, it looks like everything will swap into my blazer with no problems, the only thing im not sure of is the 400 trans, its a 2 wheel trans, will my np241 transfer case bolt to the 400 trans ?, will my stock drive shafts work or will I need to get new ones ?. I will also be doing a 6" lift, and tire will be either 36" or 38", I havn`t decided yet. any information or help is appreciated.

Larry.

2. blazerguy 90

3. blazerguy 90

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no the 400 tranny is a 2wd one it will not work for a transfer case, unlesws you swapped in a 4x4 output shaft in which requires totally disassembling the tranny

why do you have to dispose of one ? i would sell one and use the $ to buy the k5 stuff it needs that you want, such as 4x4 th400 tranny, 14 FF etc

you should be able to find a 14 FF for 150 or under and a th400 for around 200 or under

im sure you could sell the 2wd for at least 3 bills..

if more then youll be able to find more parts for the k5

when you swap from 700r4 to th400 youll need other drivshafts too

does the k5 run drive ? if so then why mess with it ?? what is wrong with it ?

why do you want ot take it apart so bad ?

personally i would leave both alone and drive them both,

why do you have to unload one ?

either one is not a good donor for the other really, cept MAYBE the 454 for the k5, possibly, and the axle, but i wouldnt do that either if they were mine,

you dont have to do or believe anything i am saying however, i am just replying with info that i think that you should use to think about all this with, i am just intending to try and save you lots of money and headache and from ruining another one or two chevies out there, as i have done a million times, jsut liek most of us here have done also, usually always due to not having resources/cash/experience/doing research before starting, in which in my case i know i never learn, and always find out the hard way, bt not so much these days since i think more before attempting something with a vehicle and now save myself the trouble of even attempting certain engine/drivetrain swaps, etc, becaus ei know there is a great chance that i will give up on it due to frustration/boredom/lack of a certain part or few of them needed to complete the job due to not fnding and saving them up before beginning,

good luck though,

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Not only do you have to swap output shafts , but different year groupings of 4wd th400's have different length output shafts .

1 3/8 , 2.5 , 4.5 inch

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh yeah, my bad, sorry, i forget about the different output shaft lengths on the 4x4 th400's

oops

thats another thing to take into consideration before attempting something like this, but he already has a huge problem since he doesnt even have a 4x4 version th400 at all to begin with, heh

7. blazerguy 90

Thanks for all the information guys, this was just an idea that I was thinking about, I got the suburban for free, it has a bad transmission, I was given another transmission for free, I just need to pay someone to put it in, I also don`t have any paper work (registration) for the suburban, that why I was trying to find out if swapping engine and trans into my blazer was worth it, and from what you guys are telling me its not. there is nothing wrong with the 350 engine/700R4 - NP241 that in my blazer now, im just like everyone else that looking for more power if I can get it. do you guys think I could sell the suburban as is with good transmission included but not installed and no paper work ?.