Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Swap... WONT START

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Dec 1, 2004.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Jun 8, 2002
    Ok, its a 92 K code 350 with a Painless harness (60101) in my 85 K5. It turns over, I have fuel and spark, but it wont light off... I can get it to fire for a few seconds while the started is cranking, but then nothing.

I think the timing is off, but I am not getting ANY backfiring (well once, but there was gas dripping out of the header). I set it up to TDC and ran the plugs like that, I set it up 180 out to see if that was it, but nothing is working.

It was running before I put it in my truck, but I messed up the timing and didn't mark #1 like an idiot /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

HELP /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Mar 23, 2003
    Doo you have the firing order correct?

Twist the dist. while soomeone is turning the key. Stay awaay from the intake and the fan....
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Do you have a timing light?

Set the engine to TDC, as you know.

Hook the timing light up like normal. If its adjustable, make sure it's on 0.

Turn key to run. Hold trigger on gun down, turn distributor until it fires. On my TPI I have to essentially "jerk" the distributor quickly so that it fires, but you can just narrow it down by doing it in smaller increments back and forth.

It will fire every time it hits the rigth spot, so you can lock it down there. In any case, this will get you close enough that if it's working right, it WILL run. You should hear the fuel pump fire each time as well.

The timing disconnect shouldn't matter in this case, but it will once it starts running, so I'd disconnect it as well.