Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap, working around AC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Dec 5, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I want to keep the Air Condidtioner for the time being, but I don't want to/ cant recharge it, becaues its R12 (and no I don't have the $$ to convert to 134)... anyway I want to set the compressor on the passenger side of the engine bay. If I connect that hose running under it to the front of the bay (the hose with the cylinder middle ways on it), will I discharge the sytem? or does that not connect with the freeon? How do I disconnect that hose, I don't see any screw type fitting...
    [​IMG]

2. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You will have to move the compressor with the lines attached. There is no other way.

3. 78Suburban

that's evil :doah: how in the world will I move that compressor with such a short line running to the front of the truck? Just lay it on the front above the grill?
    Thanks,
    James

4. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My last K5 we did a cam swap without disconnecting the a/c. Find a place and use wire or a hanger to keep it out of the way.
    Good luck

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

call around to local shops and ask if thay do r12. if so ask if thay could remove yours and hold it for a bit and then recharge it for ya. might cost a few bucks. but much easyer.

6. 78Suburban

Do they even still make old school R12? I would like to not have to discharge the AC if at all possible. Could anyone tell me where exactly they secured the compressor to during an engine swap?
    thanks,
    James

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no, it is illegal to manufacture R12. you'll have to experiment with it to see where it can be secured.

8. 78Suburban

I know someone that claims they have a tank from the 70's that has some R12, wonder how difficult it would be to recharge it? Will I burn a hole in the atmosphere?
    Is R12 related to CFC's or something, so that it destroys Ozone, or what? Just wondering why they quit using it.
    James

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yes, releasing R12 into the atmosphere is bad. although so is the production of R134a. dunno why the switch. :dunno:

10. mayerichm

mayerichm Registered Member

Buying r12 was banned for awhile but then they lifted it for farm use...or atleast in this hilbilly part of the country.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

buying R12 has never been illegal, only restricted to those licensed to handle it. its not illegal to posess it, just illegal for a non-qualified person to purchase, and to manufacture.