Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bone cracker, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bone cracker

bone cracker Registered Member

Has anyone ever swapped in a 455 olds into their truck, just wondering if it would be possible?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hey there canuck where are you from?
    welcome

i dont know for sure, but some have swaped 500ci caddys and some have done pontiacs.

you need to have custom moter mounts made up.

i belive the bellhouseing bolts are the same too.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its been done,not that hard--

I had a friend that bought 2 chevy pickups with blown up 350 olds diesels in them from the phone company--he replaced the diesels with 455 olds motors from delta 88's he got at the junkyard--the olds diesel has the same block as a 350-455 gas motor,so it was a bolt in swap for him--the torque converter had a slower stall speed on a diesel though,and he ended up changing them too(had to pull the motor back out on the first truck,and knew better on the next one!)--

-If you have a chevy motor in your truck now,you will need the motor mounts and frame brackets from an early 78-81 olds diesel powered GM truck,or you can make your own--the bellhousing is a different bolt pattern too,but adapters are cheap at Jegs or Summit (about 60 bucks),or you can swap an olds-caddy-buick tranny in with the 4x4 mainshaft from your old tranny--and you will have to relocate the fuel lines and the battery to the drivers side(olds motors have the fuel pump and starter on the opposite side than a chevy)--as far as I remember,the stock olds exhaust manifolds worked with the original diesel exhaust pipes,it only took him a few days to get the truck up and running again with the 455 motor--and it smoked the skins right off it!!--so good that he had to swap in a 14 bolt 8 lug rear end in place of the 10 bolt that exploded in one of the trucks....:grin:

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

You sure an Olds 455 bolt pattern differs from a GM small block? My ole man had a '69 suburban with a 455 in it and it used the stock motor mounts and th350/205 combo.

I am gonna be puttin the 455 in my truck this summer:d

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Olds motors used the BOPC (cadillac) bolt pattern forever. Well, any "modern" Olds V8, 425 until the 307 died in 1990.

The 350 and 455 do not share blocks. The 425/455 "BBO" are externally the same... 403, 350 gas and diesel, 307, and 260 "SBO" all share the same external dimensions.

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Thats wierd becuase I am positive we pulled a 455outta his burban 2 summers back. It had a 350/205 in it. It is possible someone use a BOP case and put a different output shaft in it to work with a 205

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the tranny may have been a duel bellhousing setup. there is some out there.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes that is what you do is put 4x4 output on bop th350, 10 bolt bellhousing, pull from an 80s regal or caprice or etc.

and all the 78-85 5.7L diesel trcks are BOP th350

use 350 olds diesel engine mounts, i have a set of them and the brackets

thers nothing custom about putting an olds in a chevy

its all direct bolt in

i evne have pair of manifolds and duals from chevy pickup olds

common stuff, go to junkyard and get them
    we just junked an 80 cheyenne with 350 olds in it, it was diesel too originally,.
    had an 81 just before that i stripped

i know of a 70 with a 455 in it, they are just common, theres an 81 or 2 with 455 in it running around too, plus mor ei dont know of,

good luck

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

so what about a 455 buick?theres one in the paper complete/running for $500.if i changed the motor mounts,would it bolt to a 465/205?sorry if i hijacked.

10. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Sorry to pee in your cheerios

It would probably not have the crank drilled for a pilot bearing/bushing..................