Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Jun 26, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

If I were to swap out my 305 engine, what would you guys think would be the best thing to put in its place? New? Used?... Also, what other Parts would I most likely Need/ Want to replace with the engine?.... If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great! I would like to save as much money as possible, but would also like a DEPENDABLE engine. Thanks.

I have a 1984 Chevy Scottsdale longbed....4x4

2. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Engine swap

If $$ is the big issue, then a 350 is the way to go. A big block would fit for sure, but you'd have to get EVERYTHING for it. A 350 has the same dimensions as your 305, and you're not going to find another motor with more parts available for it and as cheap as they are for 350's, plus all you're your accessories will just bolt right on to it as well.

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought you were selling your truck? I was cocidering buying it and put in a 350 if you still had it in a couple months but I can wait till you swap in a 350 :D If you buy a 350 it will give you more power and most of the parts will swap over :cool1:

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If you want reliability and a little more power I would go with a 350 crate motor from chevy. 1000-1200 with a 12/12,000-24/24,000 warranty.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

My new tbi roller cam motor... with everything... all accessories... brackets computer...wiring.... (1989 vintage)

$2250 (cost 3k to build)
    :D
    cam

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Watch out for the smog gods-theyd will strike you down. If you are in the service, and the rig is tagged out of state, you have more leeway. If it is tagged in CA, whatever you put in has the meet the same smog standards as the OE motor. At least that is what I remember bout CA smog laws.

7. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

Where can I find them for that price?

8. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Crate Motor

From Chevrolet. Don't bother with the section of the catalog that has all the Hi-Po aluminum headed motors, you want the ones that don't have all the pictures and specs. Try www.goodwrench.com. You can find a replacement motor, and locate a local dealer who has one, or can get one.

9. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Crate Engines

Yep Yep Yep :d