Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anjieandjohn, Jun 28, 2005.

1. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

I have an 85 K5 that currently has a 305 w/4bbl. It has 218k miles on it and has never been rebuilt. I am starting to see fouled plugs on the 5 and 7 cylinder like the head gaskets are leaking and the valve seats are worn. Instead of rebuilding the motor, I want to drop a 350 in its place. What are the major components (aside from the engine) that will swap over? Do I need to change the electronics? Will all the sensors (oil pressure, battery, etc.) need any modifying? HELP!!!! :confused:

2. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

everything is pretty much interchangable. Although when I swapped from a 400 to a 350 I replaced everything figured I might as well for peace of mind. The things I didn't starter alternator and ps pump failed the first year and I ended up replacing it anyway :frown1: . Just ask yourself if you want to trust an old oil pressure sending unit to save $15 could end up costing you $1500 in repairs :blush:

3. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

externally the 1st generation small block chevy engine family is similar,
    internally you will find some major differences but other than that you can take your pick from 265 to 400cid engines will drop in.
    some used a 153 tooth ring gear and some used a 168.
    Drop the 350 in and let her rip. :laugh: