Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ENGINE SWAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84K5BD, May 19, 2001.

1. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

HAS ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO OR TIPS ON INSTALLING A PONTIAC 455 IN AN 84 K5 BLAZER,SPECIFICLY THE ENGINE MOUNTS ?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have considered this a bit. If I recall correctly, the block is not much bigger than a SBC. I've got an old hotrod mag around here somewhere that gives all the various engine dimensions and weights but I don't know where it is (in a stack of boxes). Something like 1.5" longer and 1" wider, maybe 2" taller. Seems like the weight is only about 60 pounds more than the SBC.

Anyway, the bell housing bolt pattern is different and the engine mounts will need to be fabricated. A normal case from a TH400 may hook up to the back of a Pontiac TH400 if you swap the output shaft but I don't know. I was thinking it might be cool to get a Pontiac 455 and TH400 combo, upgrade the TH400 with TH475 pieces including emergency brake output shaft disk . Then, behind that, a divorced 205 spinning 1-ton drive shafts and axles. Oh yeah, that would be sweet. Massive torque, low cost, common parts (except for the divorced 205 (not that rare) and the 475 stuff (also not that rare in motor homes).

However, you can forget about ever getting THAT combo through an emission inspection!

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.