Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ABO, Aug 9, 2001.

1. ABO

ABO Registered Member

Fist off I used to be a member on the old site so, Nice job with this site Steve. Now,I have a 88' blazer w/ 350 fule injected and was wanting to swap it out for a built up 350 w/ a carb. I was looking to see what I should be doing, like I know I don't need the computer, need to put a new sending unit in the tank and fule pump on the block. The Tranny in a 350 so no problem there but am I missing anything. It's not that easy, is it? Thanks for any help

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

It's easier than you think to swap in a carb'd engine, as I've done 2 of them. 88 sub 350TBI and 87K5 305TBI. Just disconnect all wiring, use only what is needed for carb engine and install a 3 port fuel regulator. 1 port to fuel tank, 1 to carb and last one is return to fuel tank of excess pressure. I run 5-6psi and send balance to tank. Use a wiring diagram from an 85-86 for connecting up the new engine. I removed the old computer and rewired truck like 86 version but you could use existing wiring and reconnect to new engine. You'll need a HEI distributor for pre-TBI engine ($25-150), Mallory fuel regulator ($65) and you're ready. Block off manual fuel pump and throw fuel pump push rod in junk pile. You're almost there.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!