Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by billy89K5, Jan 27, 2007.

1. billy89K5

billy89K5 Newbie

Hello all,new here,lets get to it. Is it a real big job to transplant an engine/tranny combo out of a fuel injected '89 blazer into an '85 carb'd. blazer? They are basicly the same vehicle,only problem I for see will be the computer/wiring,but is it really as intimidating as it seems,or is it more or less a walk in the park? I do have some mecanical ability,after all,I replaced the engine once in the '89,but the body is shot.Any help will be appreciated,fell free to E-mail me at trimble0308@yahoo.com w/any ideas questions.
    thank you much.

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You've got both trucks, simply use one as the pattern for the other. With two complete identical (except year) rigs, the swap is a no-brainer. Still time consuming, but if you want the FI, do it this way.

No reason to run anything other than what the '89 has if it runs right now. Do the install right, and it will run exactly the same in the other truck. :)

4. billy89K5

billy89K5 Newbie

yeah,thanks guy's. Kinda figured it would be an easy mechanical swap,I guess what i'm trying to figure out is,how much of the electrical components will pose a problem? Do I have to swap out the whole gauge cluster,fuse boxs,('85 doesnt have one any way,no wires including fuse block from firewall forward).Should I get another fuse block for the '85 and start from there,or just replace it with the '89's? As far as electric fuel pump,I imagine I can use an in-line unit with a regulator?