Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stock86, Oct 19, 2001.

1. stock86

stock86 Registered Member

with 171+ miles on my blazer Im thinking of pulling the smog equiped 305 and intalling a 350. My blazer is an 86 and I really like the price of the 85 back 350 crate engines.for some reason the 86 is alot higher. my question is what is really the difference between 85 and 86. I read where the only difference was the flywheel? I want to keep the ac and Im not going back with the smog equipment. I plan on using aftermarket cam and carb. can I just put and 85 engine in my blazer. thanks in advance for the info.

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yep, the only difference you would be concerned with would be having to buy a new flywheel. The '86 used a differnt flywheel because it had a one piece rear main seal. The '85 back motor will work fine and everything else will bolt right up. You will love the power of a new 350 versus a worn out 305.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!