Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KILLERK5, Jan 9, 2002.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

OK, I know close to nothing about engines (if you havent noticed from all of my questions lately), but I think I have finally found the engine that I want, but I need to know if everything from my 88 will bolt onto it. Things like emissions stuff, TBI (they told me the engine was made fo a carburetor), if the header mounts are the same or anything else that would need to be changed, or that would even be a good idea to change. Please let me know anything that wont work. Oh yeah, its a GM Goodwrench 350 HO (that might be helpful...duh)

Thanks a ton!!

88' K5 Silverado 9" Lift 38" Swamper TSL's

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you will need the GM Perf Intake for Vortec heads, a custom computer chip for the HO Engine. you will also need to plump the EGR in, and get the parts to do it.

everything else will fit.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

3. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

Well if your talking about a new gm 350 ho crate motor then they come with vortec heads which take a special intake and special gaskets. If I'm not mistaken you will need to find a late model intake from '96 or newer (I think) which has vortec heads so that you will have something to bolt your TBI to. The headers and everything else should bolt up without a hitch. You will need a block off plate where the mechanical fuel pump goes and I think (and stress think) that is all that is needed. We put one in my dad's pro street s10 but it has a carb. If I can recommend a place the best price was at www.goautocenter.com Good luck! One question what's up with your engine? worn out, more hp wanted? I was just wondering so maybe I could give some advice!

'79 K5,13 1/2" lift, 39.5 TSL's,15x12 Eagles,350,t-350,warn 8274

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Here's a couple of performance engines made just for TBI.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=catalog_start&amp;catid=1577>sdpc2000.com TBI 350s</a>
    They come already set up for your TBI and are pretty much a direct drop in and bolt up without needing a bunch of modifications to make them run right.

If you buy the 350 HO designed for a carb you will need a manifold{ $200 }for the TBI and a custom chip made{ $250-350.}

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

5. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

just for the record, GM makes a carb intake for vortec heads too..and LT1 heads too with a place for standard non-opti distributor!...

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

One word of additional warning to what has been said... Watch the Cam! I don't think the cam in that motor is gonna work with your ecm. The TBI ecm system is a speed density system which basically means the largest sensor input for what is going on with the motor is the vacuum. You have pretty slim lines you play between, but you won't beable to run anthing too wild. Also... I would look more at truck and lower rpm street motors, then the hi=po stuff.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

7. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I have looked at the TBI engines on SDPC before, but I still dont know the whole story between 2 and 4 bolt mains. I know there is a difference in the number of bolts. Is a two bolt main a good way to go, or should I look around for a four bolt. I have heard both sides, and still dont know which to believe. My engine isnt cutting it with those big tires on there, she doesnt want to move. I just need more power (and gears, AGAIN!). Well I trust you guys' opinions, so if you could just let me know whats good and whats not I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!!!!

88' K5 Silverado 9" Lift 38" Swamper TSL's