Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thor442, Oct 23, 2002.

1. thor442

thor442 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif I have a few questions, I have a 1988 gmc jimmy full size 350 throttle body with a 700 r-4 tranny, it is all original and has 200,000 miles on it. I have a rebuilt 350 with 4-bolt mains aluminum intake and a four barrel carb I want to put in I looked up the block code and it is out of a 1975 chevy. When I do the engine swap I want to get rid of all the polution crap. I am wondering what to do about the 700 r-4 to be able to run a straight four barrel instead of fuel injection and the fuel pump, being electric

2. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

You will have to put a regulator in your fuel line. FI needs more fuel pressure than a carb, and you will overpower the needle and seat. 6.5 psi is a start. You can run your 700r4 no problem, but you may have to confabulate the cable bracket, lockup etc. Look up Jet Performance, or any of those hot rod tranny shops and they should be able to tell you, check any hot rod or truck mag.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I run a 700 with a carb. with no problems. But , do you want to keep the lock-up feture of the trans.?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i wouldn't take all the EGR crap off. it will be nothing but problems to register and sell the rig.

Why would you want to take off the TBI? just plug the TBI unit onto the new engine, and vola! instant wheeler engine!

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

What he said! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif TBI MMMMMMMMMM yummy!