Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LlanoK5, Nov 10, 2002.

1. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Ok, here's the deal. My 305 is blowing oil all over the place. I want to swap in a 350. My question is will the acceseries from the 305 (A/C, power steering pump, etc...) fit on the 350.

On the other hand I've got a friend that keeps trying sell me an Oldsmobile 455. My problem with that is that I don't think that it would be a direct bolt in swap. Anybody know about motor mount locations and boltability to my SM465.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Kirk

2. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you should be able to reuse all the acceseries. The 305 and 350 are hte same block different stroke.

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

all the 305 accessorie will bolt straight on to your 350, they are different blocks, with the same stroke, but all the holes are in the same places, and they are the same outside.

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

the 455 has completely different bellhousing patterns and motor mount locations than a chevy big block. you could get adapaters

5. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I believe the flexplate is a different one for the 350, but other than that you doun't have to change anything. I did one on a chevy c30 and we reused everything (including the vacuum) except the flexplate. It's been a while so I may be wrong.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The 305 and 350 are hte same block different stroke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same stroke, different bore.

Rene

7. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys. Next question, what is the flexplate?

8. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

The flex plate is in between the engine and trans.The the flex plate has the ring gear for the starter to make the engine turn over and also puts the power to the trans by the converter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif hope this helps!

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The flexplate, or the flywheel, is the wheel mounted in the back of the engine. It has a ring gear on it that the starter drives to start the motor. a flexplate is a flywheel for an automatic tranny...the torque converter bolts to it. For a manual tranny, it is called a flywheel and the clutch disc is held against it with the clutch pressure plate...As long as the engines are the same era, and they have the same tooth count, you sould be able to interchange the 305 flywheel on the 350...If not, you can get a new flywheel pretty cheap or get a used ony for you application and have it resurfaced...

Chris

10. speedup

speedup Registered Member

A friend of mine had the same problem. He spent about 6 weeks replacing the engine w/350. From what I understand, the exhaust didn't match up correctly (he tried to put headers from 305 on 350--didn't work). He had flywheel trouble, as well. The rest of the problems were due to inexperience... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

a 305 is identical in every way shape and form as far as the heads and block as a 350. headders, intakes, flex plates, cranks, timing components, rods, even cams will interchange. a 305 is a 350 with 283 pistons and a smaller cam to pit it simple. even the head bolts are the same.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

although most pieces will interchange, some depend on years of engines. In 1980 GM changes the block and put dipstick on other side of engine. The exaust manifolds are different for left and right dipsticks. oil pans are different. The flexplate is the same, but while you have it out, I would check flexplate for cracks or just spend the 30 bucks for a new one. Also, some 305's had different timing marks on front cover, so they may not interchange. I think putting the old's motor in is alot of work. bellhousings are different. You can get adapters, but I don't like them. Just my opinion.

13. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

flexplates changed in 86 for the one piece oil seal. 85 and older have different flexplate.

14. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, after doing some checking around. The best price I can find on premium long block won't take a 305 core for a 350, so it looks like I'm gonna have to stick with 305 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. It's not a choice that I like, but since I don't have an abundant cash source it's the best I can do.

Thanks for all the input, now I'll have a better clue when I decide to just spend everything that I have.

Kirk

15. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the price from your GM dealer?? They have a basic 350 for a decent price that comes with a 3 year warranty. I would not spend any $$ on a 305, when you can get a 350 for a few dollars more. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Buy a used 350 from a salvage yard befor a new 305 long block !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I've got a running 305 in my garage if you're interested. Sight unseen, I'm not sure if it's worth the drive to you but it's an option. Let me know, I'll send you more details and a pic or two.

18. txbluethunder

dude...don't touch that 305. its not worth it. go to a junk yard and pull a 350. i'll look around up here and see if i can pull some strings. it won't be great but it'll be rebuildable.

19. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

What's a rebuildable 350 w/4 bolt main worth? I have one I need to get rid of, 350 TBI w/intake. I live in Abilene. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. txbluethunder

running? 500 - 700. non running, but rebuildable, 300-500.