Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thor442, Apr 6, 2003.

1. thor442

thor442 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif mcherne620@aol.com <font color="blue"> </font> I am swapping out engines in my 1988 gmc jimmy, my current engine is the original engine with 300,000 miles i have a rebuilt 350 out of a 1970 chevy i am getting rid of the throttle body and going with a 4 barrel carb on the rebuilt any advice or do's or donts would be greatly appreciated.

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif assume your 88 was fuel injected if so the best thing I can say is invest in a good fuel pump.

3. thor442

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifyes it has that throttle body fuel injected i have a four barrel to put on the engine i am putting in it i am also going to get rid of all the pollution crap on the truck, as far as the fuel pump and the computer for the truck that controls the 700r-4 are the only problems i can really see, dont know what is out there aftermarket for converting over, any help will be greatly appreciated
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

for the tranny you can get a kit from www.700r4.com or paw and others just to let you know it is out there.as for the fuel pump you could somehow run a mech. fuel pump or run off the intank pump and use a pressure regulator from what i've been told. i'm trying to do the same swap at the moment if and when i ever get it running i'll be sure to help you if i can.hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. thor442

thanks for the info, please keep in touch on your progress and i will do the same...thanks mike /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="blue"> </font> mcherne620@aol.com /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've been down this road twice, once with my 88 Suburban converted from 350TBI to 513 Caddy and again with my present 87K5 converted from 305TBI to 350/300hp ,383/325hp and finally a BBC427, all carb'd engines. Really pretty easy with the right parts. Keep your in tank electric pump, well worth it for simplicity and ease of getting it repaired with known parts. My 305 pumps more then enough for the 427 and the 350 pump in the suburban was more then enough for 513 cubes of Caddy engine. Get yourself a Mallory 3 port fuel pressure regulator, mines the one used for regulating 3-50psi. You'll need to plumb in the fuel pump feed line, the fuel tank return line and finally the carb feed line. I split that line and feed two lines into dual feed Holley carbs. I've used 650, 780 and 850's with this setup and no problems. Regulator costs about $70 and I cut off the original GM lines to TBI and spliced in 3/8" fuel line and triple clamped it to steel lines for safety sake. The 3/8" line makes it easy to attach to regulator.