Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MarcS, Apr 23, 2003.

1. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Searched the forums and only came up with more questions.I have an 1987 K5 Blazer w/305 CID TBI engine. Also have 1988 K5 w/350 TBI.Both have T700 Trans. Will the '88 350 go into the '87? Wondering about all computer/TBI connections,sensors & dash guages.I'm sure I have to swap computer chips.How about the Air pump,Alt,A/C compressor,T700 trans & torque converters (Different gearing & stall speeds???). Am I forgetting anything? Or will I be better off finding a '87 350 ??? Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it should be a simple swap but i think you need to swap the flexplate to /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Everything SHOULD swap right over and interchange, but be sure to use the 350 throttle body and PROM as they will be different. No need to look for an 87 350, the 88 will work fine. You shouldn't need a new flexplate unless your 87 has a two-piece rear seal for some reason.