Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blades17, Nov 29, 2000.

1. blades17

blades17 Newbie

Hello everyone I am new to the forums and am looking forward to loads of awesome information. I have a question about swaping a vortec 350 out of a 99 yukon into a 89 jimmy. I have located the new motor and it comes with the computer and all wiring harness. The current Transmission in the jimmy is a 700-r4. Is this a possible swap and if so what sort of modifications would be necessary. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Not sure, but you may have to use and external type controller for the lock up converter on the 700r4. I doubt the 99 Yukon comp will control it.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Did you get it off EBay? Was looking at that for my 88. Be interested to see how the swap goes. Don't think too many have done that here. Blazer in Oregan just finished a swap, not sure of his tranny though. Maybe you could contact tech support at Chevrolet for questions concerning the match up.

Bet someone will be along soon to answer.
    Good luck.

4. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I asked the same question a while back, do a search under "vortec" and see the responses. There is some good feedback but I'm still not clear about what it involves. Is that the 350 vortec or the 5.3?

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm still running my T350 behind the TPI 406, but have plans to do the 700R4. My computer has the 700R4 hookup wires so I am set. Didn't the new Yukons come with the 4L60 (same thing as a 700R4)? Seems it would be much the same, tho I know jack about this tranny compatibility.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Go to www.paceparts.com if ya run into trouble and their tech.-helpline guys should be able to fix you up.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just resting!"

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

BlazzinOR, the '99 Yukon came with the 4L60E. Note the "E" on the end, as in "Electronic". The shifting on that tranny is computer controlled. So it won't work with the 700R4 wiring that you have in your current harness.

The only info sent between the 700R4 and the ECM is the 700R4 tells the ECM when it's in 4th gear and the ECM tells the 700R4 when it's OK to lock up the torque converter (there's still a hydraulic override within the 700R4 that won't lock the converter until the tranny thinks it's OK to do so).

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com