Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine swapping questions about an 86

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Jun 27, 2003.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I’m replacing my engine with a whole new set up and I was hoping to go from a stock set up to a 383 with an mpfi Edelbrock setup that would still pass emissions on a Cali. emissions truck. Now I found a place to build my engine but now I’m realizing how much of pain this is turning out to be. I went to the engine shop today to actually meet the guy. I explained to him what I wanted over the week through e-mails.

Well today he gave me the price and told me that he was going to put everything together. I asked him which Edelbrock unit I would need to get this system up and running and he told me the best thing that I could do was to contact them directly and find out there.

I have never done anything like this before so I asked him what information do I need to pass along to Edelbrock in order to get this taken care of. He told me that all I needed to know was that is was that it needs an ERG valve, it will have 194 heads, and that the bolt holes would be straight on the intake.

Well I called the Edelbrock people and they told me that the heads the guy was going to use were all wrong and that I should be using the vortec heads. He told me that I would need to order 3594 fuel pump and more than likely the 3505 mpfi system, a chip from command performance and I would lastly need a computer out of a 87-92 350 set up. because of the erg valve.

Any one have some advice on whats going on I’m totally green.

I’m trying to get more power and still be able to pass emission in a year.

Thanks for any help.

King

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

The Edelbrock system must use the factory computer to keep prices down.
    Yes you will need a new high pressure electric fuel pump for the EFI.

Try calling Holley and ask them. They have ProJection and an MPFI I believe. The Edelbrock system is only good for 275hp, its intended as a stock replacement.

Personally I would skip them both and get a complete TBI system off of another Blazer, p/u or Burban. A slightly modified stock system is good for up to 350hp. Lots of guys are running it on 383's

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1.94 valves and "straight bolts" on the intake scream Vortec to me. Although I guess you can ask him: 8 intake bolts, or 12? If 12, not Vortec heads.

4. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Do you guys know of a place where i can get a complete tbi set up new or at least with some kind of warantee? I told the guy to hold off on building the engine untill i get this intake issue worked out. i don't know enough right now to go and yank a set up off of another truck and make sure that i have everything that i need. i'm kind of hurting right now becasue the blazer is my only means of transportation so i'd like to be able to go some where and get the parts i need and know that the work correctly and are ready to installed.
    king

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As your only vehicle, I can only say that you had better plan on having something else available to you during the swap.

You know full well that doing something even so simple as packing wheel bearings is inevitably going to require a trip to the store for some hidden reason, a carb to TBI swap is going to take some time, and more than a couple trips to the store. Anyone that can do the swap with less than a day of downtime, and no trips to the store, has got one heck of a well equipped garage.

I wouldn't stick with "new" or warrantee. GM stuff works, period. Yes things fail, but pulling a setup off of a running vehicle is NO different than installing new parts that have not been tested, or have been tested, then went through shipping. Look at how many people run Q-jets. That right there is a testament to GM durability. (at least back when they cared about that sort of stuff)

The problem people get into when doing these type of swaps is not diagnosing problems, but instead blindly throwing parts at problems. Just glance around on this board and you'll see a myriad of people throwing expensive parts at an unknown problem, and yet not fix it. So you see $500 wasted with no, or very little, change.

If you don't have an '87 or newer shop manual (or helms), get one. You WILL need it to understand how the setups were routed, wired, and more importantly, how they work. You can get that even before you start work, should you decide on GM TBI.