Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Swaps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uao85, Jun 26, 2004.

1. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Has anyone out there on this website ever done an ls1 swap into a blazer? I have just finished mine and have to say that I am more than happy with the results, fuel injected, low end power, high end power, incredibly easy to mod to get more power, very fuel efficient, and weighs almost half of what my original small block 350 weighed, and you can keep your old tranny, I chose to get a 4l80e though. Anyways, just curious if anyone out there is experimenting in the engine compartment a little bit. IMO it is on the same difficulty level as installing a lift and full convertible top on a blazer, unless you dont like wiring.

Remington

2. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

Which LS1 engine did you use. Did you use the truck engines(5.3, or 6.0)or a camaro or vette version. Do you have any pictures because the only one I have seen did not allow the a/c compressor to mount with out major frame modifications. I put a 99 Camaro LS1 in a 69 Camaro but I had to use a new front subframe. I am pondering putting one in my 86 K5

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

any pictures? I'd love to see this swap. I want a LS1 in a buggy, sweet stuff. LS1 is the 350 from the Corvette and Camaros. The 5.3, 6.0, 4.8s are called other things, I think the 6.0 is the LQ4.

4. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I havent taken any pictures as of yet, but they are on the way as soon as I have a chance. I have already swapped a 6.0/4l80e into a 91 fullsize and am in the process of swapping a ls1 out of a 01 camaro ss into an 87 blazer. And yes your are technically correct about 5.3 and 6.0 not being an ls1, but they are basically the same engine, except different style intake and an iron block instead of an alluminum one. The truck motors are generally a more mild and low key low end torque motor, but the ls1 corvette and camaro motors are higher compression and higher reving motors built more for performance and high end performance. As for my first motor, its a 6.0 with shaved heads, a corvette z06 throttle body, cam, maf, and a set of custom headers. The ls1 that is in the final stages is a ss engine with head port & polish, valve job, shaved for comp bump, and arp bolts throughout and a healthy cam. My 6.0 motor is 430 hp/tq(before tuning)and my ls1 will probably be in the field of 400-425 hp/tq. And the 6.0 motor never gets below 14 mpg unless I am on the trails, and the ls1 will pb never see below 15 or 16 on the street. As for the a/c, the 6.0 motor was huge and the compressor didnt fit so I cut out the crossmember and custom fabbed one up that hugs the pan and a little further back so it doesnt interfere with the a/c. As for the ls1 motor, I found a place that custom fabs brackets to relocate and retain the stock a/c compressor so I am going that route. If anyone has any questions or wants some more info just let me know.

Remington

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This is the first LS1 motor I have heard of on this site. I know there is a dozen or so TPI trucks and I know of one Vortech truck.

Harley

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What did you use for an ECM? If you used the factory one, did you hook up the vacuum line to the fuel tank and all that associated stuff? If you didn't, is your check engine light on all the time?

I haven't heard very much about an OBD II retrofit around here yet. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mike (87GMCJimmy) put a Vortech 350 into his K5. He got all the bugs worked out with it I think. I have been offroading with him and it did pretty well. The thing ran like a raped ape on the highway to I understand.

I think he used an ECM from a 96 year model.

Harley

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

In a very recent issue of Petersons 4wor , June and July. They installed a truck 6.0 with supercharger in there. It was a very "Familiar" black k5 with an ORD front bumper. Seems they had to notch the front crossmember to get it to fit right with the rest of the drivetrain. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

(84 chevy k10) I used the ecm and wiring out of an 01 pickup which is the same year as the motor. Do you mean the breather for the fuel tank? Because all I have on my truck is a feed, return, and a breather tube. I used some compression fittings to connect the feed and return from new to old, and I just kept the old breather tube and blocked off the line that goes to the new engine. I might go back later and graft the breather lines, but for the moment I am breaking in the engine. I didnt get that issues of petersons, did they use a magnacharger setup or a vortec or ??????? I think I might have run across that one while browsing but didnt get a good look at it.

Remington

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a feeling he is talking about the complex sending units on the newer vehicles.

I'm under the impression that all OBD2 vehicles monitor the pressure inside the fuel tanks via the super expensive sending units.

11. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Ok, he had me wondering for am minute, yeah I am keeping the original fuel pump unit and tank from the tbi 350. I am just wiring the signal for the fuel pump relay on the new wiring harness into the input wire for the original pump relay. So the old fuel pump relay still works and controls the fuel pump and is still turned on by the original ignition switch, but is controlled by the signal that the new computer puts out for the new engine. I hope that made sense.

Remington

12. oldtoyboyd

I soon will be putting a new engine in my 86 K5 and wanted to go with a 6.0 but I was unclear about the A/C. If you get a chance to take pictures of the crossmember that you made let me know. I am leaning that way but I just ordered a 6.0 turnkey kit for my Toyota Landcruiser to do first.

13. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I think they put the Radix on the one in Petes. I'm planning on doing a LQ9/4L65e swap on mine unless I can get ahold of some more cash and do the 408 LQ4/4L80e swap. These engines are incredible. I wouldn't doubt if your 6.0 isn't putting out more hp/tq than you stated. Get some pics man, I need some motivation.

14. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

(oldtoyboyd) Yeah the crossmember was pretty basic, it was almost an exact duplicate of one of the crossmembers a guy fabbed up here a while back, he had a whole bunch of pics and a general description, so I just followed his plans and made the little adjustments that were needed. Yeah if I had to do it again, I would definitely have used the relocation brackets and kit from street and performance. They have alot of good parts and brackets for ls1 type swaps. www.hotrodlane.cc /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifMan I tried to get out earlier today with the sun out and get some pics but my digital camera is acting more like a..........rock than a camera. Yeah definitely a rock. About to see if I can skip it across the pond.

Remington

15. oldtoyboyd

I figured i would have to build a crossmember especially after petersons magazine article. I dont know why they didnt fab one up instead of chopping the original one like they did and still not fit the A/C compressor. Who else has done the swap with a 6.0L and done a crossmember. I just ordered a welder and torch so I can do my Land Cruiser. It will come in handy with my K5 when I get back to it.