Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine temp way to high

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Apr 27, 2004.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

If any of you are in so cal right now you knows it's triple digit temps. I was out on the freeway today in 104 deg heat and i was getting 120 deg engine temp on flat and 130 deg over hills all this was at about 75mph. Does anybody know if thats an ok temp or a high temp. I'm running a new gm350 crate motor, th350 trans, 6in lift, 35in tires, and 4.56 gears. Also I've got the biggest radiator i could get in--also brand new. Any suggestions on how to get the temp down?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

tell me you mean 220 and 230? If so that isn't incredibly hot but you wouldn't want it to go much over that.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't say incredibly hot, but yes it is warmer than you really want to run, i would check out the t-stat, make sure it's new and make sure you have the correct coolant/antifreeze to water ratio, too much coolant or not enough coolant will also cause a warm running condition, usually 50/50 out here in the west.

Remember coolant/antifreeze isn't the stuff to make the engine cooler, it makes the waters boiling point higher so the water can do the cooling.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It would also help to know what engine setup you are running, carb or FI. I have run 180 t-stats in my carb'd engines with no problems, but i only run the 195 in my TBI engine.

My Burb in the summer will usually hit upwards of that 220-230 mark when i have the AC runnin, and usually around 210 in the middle of summer without the AC runnin.

And i think we know how hot it gets here in Phoenix.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bet you mean 220 or 230. How is your clutch fan? If you have a new radiator and not an airflow issue than it is something else. You said you have a newer crate motor and I'm sure a new water pump was used. Is this a mechanical guage or the stock electrical guage?

I thought I had an overheating problem with my built 406SBC and replaced the whole coolong system that was still new(10K) and pulled the F'n motor apart thinking it was a headgasket. Finally quit having the attitude that "it can't be that...has got to be something more serious." 6 months later and $700 later we installed a mechanical water temp guage to find that the elec. guage was about 15 degrees off to warm. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I would...
    1. get a mechanical guage so you know actually what the temp is.
    2. Slow the Flip down, 75mph is too fast for our older trucks in 104 weather.IMHO Just think if one of those big 35's blew out doing 75mph. There would be less of a chance of one blowing out at 65mph.

3. Yep, it's fawkin' HOT! 100 degrees right now here in NorCal...had to put the A/C on hi today. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

whoops...yeah i meant 220-230.
    yes i'm using a new mechanical temp gauge not the stock one
    new water pump that came on the motor with a 180 thermostat
    also running 600cfm carb,

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Were you were running the air conditioner? Or do you even have one on there?

8. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

yeah air was on
    I know that will kick up the temp but I didn't think that much

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, not real sure then, i am running a 195 in my TBI engine, and with the ac blowin in the middle of summer usually around 115-118 degrees or so, i very easily push 220-230. Usually pushin 210 while drivin and gets warmer the slower i drive, like stop light to stop light.
    I am not 100 % sure as to the quality of my radiator though, i was thinkin mine needed to be replaced, and i probably still will this summer. But i think you are still runnin too warm for the 104 temps outside, whens the last time you changed the coolant and mixed it correctly?

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

What are you considering the biggest radiator yoou could get? how many core?

11. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

You said you had a new crate motor in it, how many miles on it? A new engine will run a little warm until things wear a little bit...it's that friction thing. With air temps running in the low 100's, If you took a thermomitor and held it at radiator level while standing on the road, I'll bet you'll see temps pushing 120+. IMHO your engine temps are normal for those temps with the A/C on. Espically running as fast as you are. If you want to cool things down a tad, slap on an aftermarket oil and tranny cooler. Doing that will take a few thousand BTU's out of the radiator and help it cool better. Also, SLOW DOWN! Our beasties ain't race cars. If you have to make a sudden evasive move, you're gonna end up on yer side, or worse yet doing barrel rolls down the road. Also slowing down will lower your engine RPM's, and that will make a difference you'll notice.

12. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

never trust that guage thing. check it with something you know works correctly. I use my multimeter with the temp probe. exact and easy. even on a hot day should only run about 200degrees so something is definatly amiss. keep looking /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    never trust that guage thing. check it with something you know works correctly. I use my multimeter with the temp probe. exact and easy. even on a hot day should only run about 200degrees so something is definatly amiss. keep looking /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    He said he has a mech. guage so it is an acurate water temp measurement.

14. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.
    In my defense I normally would keep the speeds down and just cruise along but when your late for a final exam you'll tend to drive a little faster...lol
    I'm going to give it a good look over tomorrow and see what I can come up with
    Thanks again

15. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Buy a $5 temperature thingy from your local parts store. Take off the radiator cap and put it in the top of the radiator while it is running. In an ideal situation, it will read whatever your t-stat is rated at. If it reads, say 190 degrees, and your t-stat is 190, and your gauge reads 230, either your gauge or sending unit are wrong/bad, or you have a bad ground to your system. My dually fooled me for a while, but I convinced myself it is running at the right temp after I used a temperature taker thingy. So, the gauge says 220, but the actual is 190.

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Buy a $5 temperature thingy from your local parts store. Take off the radiator cap and put it in the top of the radiator while it is running. In an ideal situation, it will read whatever your t-stat is rated at. If it reads, say 190 degrees, and your t-stat is 190, and your gauge reads 230, either your gauge or sending unit are wrong/bad, or you have a bad ground to your system. My dually fooled me for a while, but I convinced myself it is running at the right temp after I used a temperature taker thingy. So, the gauge says 220, but the actual is 190.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like I said the the other guy, he has a mechanical guage so it is the actual water temp that is appearing on the guage.

Not to be rude but read through the posts please. He plainly states that he has a mech. guage.