Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Temp?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by brkn4vr, Mar 23, 2001.

1. brkn4vr

brkn4vr Registered Member

I just placed an alluminum racing radiator in my blaze and was wondering about the temp. Usually I would run aprox. 150 degrees average engine temp under normal operation. Now, however, with the new radiator I am running aprox. 102 degrees. My question is, could running cold like this have any long term negative affects on the 6.2? I know there is no thermastat in the truck, being in Cali. I really don't need one. But could the absence of back pressure in the system affect the pump? ------ I am always looking to learn. You guys are the best teachers I have found.

-Be Strange....Be <font color=purple>UNIQUE</font color=purple>-

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, too low a temp can be bad. Diesels "slobber" at low temperatures like excessive idling/running with no load. Fuel will contaminate your oil, sometimes you can see the fuel (oil-like) leak under the exhaust manifold where it mates to the head. Without sounding like your dad, put your thermostat back in. Members of the DieselPage swear by the RobertShaw brand, minimum of 160F, 180F for colder climates.

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Put your thermostat back in. If California cars didn't need them, then I would think the manufacturers would save themselves a few pennies and not put one in. Low operating temperatures will increase emmisions, decrease mpg, and considerably decrease engine life.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. brkn4vr

brkn4vr Registered Member

My truck has not had a thermostat for who knows how long. It was obviously removed by a past owner. I plan on putting one in soon, expecially now that the temp is running so low. Thanks for the info.

-Be Strange....Be <font color=purple>UNIQUE</font color=purple>-