Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine temperature sensor? Where to buy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JohnHenryDoe, Nov 21, 2005.

1. JohnHenryDoe

JohnHenryDoe Registered Member

Seems my temp gauge does not work. Checked between 1 & 3 plugs and see that sensor has been broken; heck the wire is even gone. (Just purchased the truck; finding all the leftovers of previous owner)
    I have checked autozone, they don't carry it. ANy ideas besides a junk yard?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Napa will probably have it.

Your best/cheapest bet is going to be the wrecking yard though...the sensors pretty rarely actually fail (happens, but with age and quantity, it's rare) and most of the time, the wire connector is more expensive than the new sensor. Two thread sizes though, don't get the wrong one, no matter where you get it.

Besides, at the wrecking yard you can get as much of the correct color wiring you need to fix the problem.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

auto zone dont carry it???????????? vary comon sensor.

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

ive gotten 2 or 3 of them at NAPA over the last couple years (all on different vehicles)
    Autozone calls it a "Coolant Temperature Sensor" on their website... try a different monkey, they may be able to operate the computer properly this time

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I just bought a coolant temp sensor for ~10 dollars from O'Reilly. My gauge still isn't working, need to remove the dash and check the connection there...