Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Temps whats the best range Thermo Stat? 160,180,190?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Feb 21, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Im wondering cuz i have a 160 in it and it stays at 160 or below that and i wanted to know whats the best temp for Engine Performance. Ive heard 200 to 210 before Im not sure about that, i think before i went to 160 i had a 180 in it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Stock thermostat for your truck is 195, and IMO there is no good reason to run a cooler one.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I run a 180, but when it goes, I will go back to a 195.

John

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Yeah i got dual ele. fans that i put together and they keep the engine down to 160 or lower but i got them toggled and they arent always on but i dont like letting my engine warm up only to cool it back down to 160....... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I personally like to run a 180* t-stat. I like it to run a little cooler, but not too cool. I think the 180 is a good choice IMHO.

John

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I was told by a very reputable Chevy engine builder aroudn here that he wouldn't run anything under a 180, maybe 175... A 160 doesn't allow the coolant to sit in the radiator long enough to cool.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Im wondering cuz i have a 160 in it and it stays at 160 or below that and i wanted to know whats the best temp for Engine Performance. Ive heard 200 to 210 before Im not sure about that, i think before i went to 160 i had a 180 in it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

[/ QUOTE ]
    And does it pass emmissions running that cold? It may not be going into closed loop on the FI and running rich with that low of thermostat.

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Running lower temp in these trucks will lower milage.I tried 160 when I was having cooling probs,caused exaust to stay sooty.{ran rich}.Tried 180,almost as bad.Factory is 195 and this is where mine runs best.Picked up bout 2 MPG going back to it.Also run HOWE alum rad and dual electric fans,1 on thermostat 1 on toggle.Could tell more diff with ele.fan than lower temp. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The goal is to keep the oil hot enough to remove moisture from it while allowing cool enough running for safe operation (not on the verge of boiling over).

A small block chevy usually works well with a 180 stat. A stat is generally full open 5deg above its rating, so a 180 stat will usually hold the water temp at around 185. Much cooler & you risk condensation in the oil. The oil is usually 25-30deg hotter than the water. 212 deg oil will give up all moisture.

Remember the key to power is to keep the combustion chamber hot & the inlet temps cool for the most dense air/fuel mixture. Sort of a balance between the 2 to make the most power.

A 195 is stock in most to help emissions (hot combustion chambers are more efficient). If you have a detonation problem, a cooler stat will help prevent this & you may pick up a few HP. Most 160's will also make the heater work poorly in the winter as well.