Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine ticking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Aug 9, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yesterday after I had been driving on the highway for a whiile I was stopped and noticed the engine was ticking and later it was making another wierd noise. One of my friends thinks it might be the TBI and I'm not sure wat it is. I have been racing more, could this have anything to do with it? Does anybody know what this is? Thanks

90K5

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

This is just a shot in the dark, but if you have been racing lately it sounds like you may have "floated" a lifter. If the lifters are run above there max pumping rpm they become engorged with oil and can lose there ability to pump normaly afterwards. That could explain why you hear the noise after the highway speeds. It may be that they are staying slightly pumped up during mid to high rpms. A vacume test will show if there is a sticky lifter. The needle will bounce around if it is sticky. I would try this after some high rpm driveing. Good Luck.

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

How do you do a vacum test?

90K5

4. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

If you determine that it is a stuck lifter, go to your local auto parts store and buy a quart of Rislone. Add 1/2 the can to your oil and drive the vehicle up to 10 miles or so. Keep the RPM's low. If it doesn't clear, add the rest of the can and drive it again. From past experience, I have used this product for stuck lifters and it has worked 9 out of 10 times to free it up. If you can't find rislone, just add a pint or so of Diesel to the oil which is basically what Rislone is. If the lifter can be unstuck, this will do it. Note...don't overfill the engine. If you need to drain some oil to make room for the additive, do so. Good Luck.

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I think he is talking about a compression test. If so, you can buy the tester at any auto parts store. It is just a hose with a guage on it that screws in to the spark plug hole on whichever cylinder you want to test.

[​IMG]