Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine ticking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Hello all!

Thanks for the input on the 350 crate. Found a crate 350 with 265HP and emissions-ready for $1550. So far, best deal for the horsepower/torque. As soon as I get the $$, it is mine!!!

Now here is the question. Current 305 has started "ticking". It used to happen just on start-up and very noticable when under load, but after warming up, it went away.

Well, I took her on a 500mile journey last week and now I have this ticking problem whenever under load, it never goes away. It sounds like an exhaust leak, but have not found one. The sound DOES NOT occur when you rev the motor or when coasting.

Not buring oil or anything like that either, maybe 1 quart every 3000 miles.

Don't have the money for the new crate yet and want to make the winter. Any ideas??

Thanks!!

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Only had a tick in a truck engine once, and it turned out to be a pushrod that had worn through the rocker arm and got stuck. Simple fix. Hope this helps.

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

3. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

I have the same thing, think it mught be the lifters

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Keep looking/listening for that exhaust leak, they are soooooo much like valve ticks it is scary. Get one of those mechanic stethescope tools and pinpoint it, either way you will know whether it is motor or exhaust.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I had one do that...turns out it was a broken "keeper" that holds the valve spring retainer onto the valve. The rocker arm was coming in contact with the retainer...wouldn't make noise all the time, but just enough at idle to drive you crazy!! Pull your valve covers and make sure the rockers are not touching the tops of the retainers. Also, could be lifters...how's your oil pressure? If its low when you hear ticking, it could be the lifters.

ken

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It could be rod knock.
    The main bearings get so worn that the rod does not float around the journals on a pad of oil; it bangs around instead.
    You'd have less than 15psi oil pressure when hot if that is your problem.
    -- Mike

7. Eric

Eric Registered Member

No problem with oil pressure, same as it has always been.

One more thing, when it ticks in the morning I lose a lot of power. If I were to gun the accelerator, the truck would stall. This is until it warms up and the ticking USED to stop. Sort of feels sluggish all the time now with constant ticking when engine is under load.

Thanks for the input. Hoping it is just lifter noise. I will pull the valve covers and take a look.

Any other ideas or what to check for when the valve covers are off?

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Be Careful.
    It could be a Time Bomb! I would recomend completly submerging the engine in water for about an hour That should stop the ticking and render the bomb harmless.

If it turns out not to be a bomb. Its most likly a bad lifter or broken valve spring .Your complaint about loss of power tells me its in the valve train. Pull the valve covers. Run the engine and push down with your finger on the push rod side of each one of the rocker arms. You will be able to feel the bad lifter or valve spring.