Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine timing problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Aug 25, 2002.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have a 350 with a manual 465 tranny.it also has converted to hei and also has MSD 6 hooked up.i looked it up and my timing is supposed to be at 8 degrees tdc.i when i get the timing anywhere close to this it does not want to even run.to get it to run right i have to advance it almost 30 degrees.looking at it from where timing is supposed to be the timing mark is strait up torward the water pump instead of down where the timing marks are.i am on the right plug wire so its not that.whats my problem??thanks in advance.also is there an alternative timing check besides timing light?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Proabably got the wrong timing cover or such. They put the mark on the balancer 10 degrees before the keyway in the early models. This means the timing tab is located at 2:00. The 80's saw a switch of the mark to 2 degrees before the keyway with a 12:00 timing tab. If luck is on your side you can buy a cheapie chrome timing tab, bolt it on, and go. If that doesn't work, than you'll have to buy a piston stop and establish a correct mark.

FYI, some timing lights do not work with MSDs. MSD sells a comptiable light. I would just unhook the box and replace it with a stock module for the moment and see what that does.

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance to set the timing.

4. Blazer_Boy

Oh, one more thing. With the afore mentioned vacuum advance removed (I'm sure you are a good boy and always do that /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ) hook up a vacuum gauge to a source that has vac at idle. Advance your timing (counter clockwise) until you reach the highest reading, than retard (clockwise) it 1". When you plug the vac advance back, if the idle jumps up, you may have that hooked to full vacuum. That's not bad in itself but that method may get you up to 12 BTDC initial timing and if you have a 20 degree vac can, you'll get 32 degrees at idle and open up a whole nother can of worms. If you have the stock house routing, I would use the stock specs. That would mean establishing the correct TDC mark and going from there.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think i may have a problem with vaccuum.i dont see a change in when the advance line is hooked up or not.so maybe my vaccuum advance is screwed up.if itr is locked up at full advance or something it would put it at 30 degrees or up torwqard the water pump then is what you are saying.my hei came out of a 83 pickup with a 305.would i need to change something in the distributor to work better with my 350?how would i set up the chrome timing tab to work if this is my problem.the engine is a gm goodrich,i'll have to look up the casting numbers to find out what year of block it is to see if maybe the balencer is in the wrong position.it looks like i have the stock timing cover on there,so if the block is a post 80's era i can hopefully use the aftermarket timing tab to get correct timing.tell me if i have this right so i can get my truck running right.i just time it by feel now.have for about 2 years,so i would like to fix it to where i can get it without have to run it down the street and go in and change it till i can get it to run right.also it did the same thing when i tried to time it with the msd not hooked up.same also when i had points ignition.since i bought it i have had this problem 2 years ago.thanx for all help i am given.sorry bout the length of this.just wanted to aleviate all other questions and give ya'll my full situatioon with the timing.

6. Blazer_Boy

Vac advance sounds right. No vac at idle on the port you have it hooked to means no vac advance at idle. That isn't a problem. You don't have to mess with the distributor either. The crate 350 uses the timing mark in the 2:00 position (from what I've seen of my own and one I installed.). All I need to know is what era your damper is from. If you have the right one, then all you have to do is get that tab. They come in 2 sizes, so you'll have to measure your damper diameter if you can't tell the diff by looking. The new timing tab is just secured by two bolts on the timing chain cover.

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

usually TDC is on the woodruff key of the crank. Align this up with your pulley. Alternatively, you can use a TDC stop tool. Basically a dowel that you stick in your sparkplug socket. Slowly crank your engine by hand until it stops. Make a mark on the Dampner, now rotate it the other way make a mark. In between these two marks is TDC.

Now
    basic timing = http://www.73-87.com/garage/101s.htm

Advanced timing = http://www.73-87.com/garage/hei.htm

Have fun