Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine timing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5experience, Mar 7, 2000.

1. K5experience

K5experience Registered Member

I have a 350 engine that was made some time between 69and79 acording to the casting # (Ilooked it up at chevymania.com)and I'm trying to find out what the timing is susppose to be set at. The engine is in a 84 K5 so the tag under the hood does me no good because its for a 305. Thanks

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Well, your timing could be between 4 degrees BTDC and 8 degrees BTDC, you'll need to get a better ID on the engine, most of the earlier 350's seem to have a 4 degrees, starting in 1973 they switched them around.....WK

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Last week I was asking around on this topic and allot of the 350 builders out there are setting it from 4 to 10
    and most were setting at 10 and a total advance is around 34 @ 2800rpm w/ the vac advance pluged off.
    Most also suggested to set it then drive it if you hear pinging, reset it then drive it, etc......
    good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

4. Eric77

Eric77 Registered Member

I talked to a guy this morning at the parts store that said he runs his at 18 degrees. I've got mine set at 10 degrees, but the thing rattles like hell when accelerating. Maybe it needs to be advanced more?