Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine timing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by imconfused, Jul 1, 2000.

1. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

Ok , Now I am really confused....... I recently installed new intake/ carb/ and distributor. Now the truck will not run unless it is advanced between 15 -18 degrees initial (with the advance plugged of course). I've tried to set it around 6-8 and it will barely keep running. The stange part is that the engine does not ping or knock with it advanced so far . Any ideas?? The engine does have a miss especially when I try to set it retarded.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Maybe it's a massive vacuum leak. Carb isnt seated right? One corner tighter than the other? Its kind of a pain but removing the fans belts when you spray carb cleaner really makes a difference. Jusrt dont run the engine foir a real long time, good luck

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Stock initial advance on my '73 is supposed to be 14 degrees, so i don't really see any problem with where you're running yours. I used to have a straight six that wanted close to 40 degrees initial advance in order to run right!

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I just finished the install of a Beck Racing Engine and it has to be set at 38 degrees advanced.

.Riz.

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would agree with jimmyjack check for vacuum leak. Also was distributor installed correctly?

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Nice looking motor!

7. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

If it is a suspected vacume leak, get a can of stating fluid and spray it around the base of the carb and intake manifold while the engine is running, if it is sucking air the engine will run high then drop back to normal. Just be careful around anything that may cause a spark. This worked for me when I had a bad cab gasket. You should also look at all of your vacume hoses and replace them as you see fit. The only one that could cause it to run that bad is the brake power booster, but it could also be a combination of several hoses.

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Cool powerplant, riz![​IMG]

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I run 16 degrees advanced with all stock stuff. 3 degrees of that is for elevation. One degree for every 2000 feet. Motor is stock with no goodies yet. Built motors you set to where it runs best. I had one and they changed the firing order on me. Took a while to figure that out. Good luck

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys ! It's good to have it on the road again.....now it's time to start on the interior.

L8r,

.Riz.