Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine to TCase Strut/ Fab Bracket to block?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by uglytruk, Jan 13, 2007.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    When I bought my '87 'Burb 6.2 TH400, I noticed that the right strut was missing. Closer inspection revealed the bolt that held it to the block was broken off in the block, and the other adjacent bolt was only able to thread in halfway, requiring a couple washers.
    Strange 'cause the truck didn't look as if it had led an off-road type life. So I wuz thunking, maybe when I replace the trans with a 700, if I actually do it, I should fabricate a plate that bolts under both (right side) engine to trans bolts?
    Anyone ever do that?
    Curiously, the other side of the engine was missing the strut that connects the engine mount to the torque converter cover. I fabbed one out of a tire iron!
    I've had a few of these trucks, and this ones the only one missing both struts, weird for a relatively stock, unmolested (but neglected) beast. Is it common to break the bolt out of the block?
    Thoughts???
    Here's me welding up a body mount/floor support. aren't self timers great/ amazing what u can do in the 10 second delay... put on mask, squeeze trigger... make sparks...

1 5 07  83 3 4 ton  Sub floor repair 009.jpg

1 4 07  Sub Mount Patch Vid  Pitted Cylinder 014.jpg

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have some bad body mounts there, look at the body flex compared to your front bumper. :D
    If you run it off road, the fan would hit the shroud. :doah:

3. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

That was when i was jacking the body off the frame to re-place mounts... jacked up six inches!

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I know, that represents what would happen if you flex it off road, and that means your body mounts in the front are shot, maybe all the body mounts are shot.
    :doah:

5. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

All mounts were REAL bad, rusted to death, washers broken, bolts half rusted away... Front, back, sides...yada, yada... But that was on the jack, but I understand... Didn't ya see the pix of me grinding, welding???
    Now an oil lines pissing, and wifey wants to go accross the lake to Vermont, hope it holds out... 20f outside, but sunny... Andrew