Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine took a dump. Suggestions please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChrisM72beast, Apr 23, 2002.

1. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Hurray...My two year old engine which I had to take back 4 months after I got it the first time decided to blow a head gasket. I know it's not the end of the world but I've been having trouble with it since I got it. Also the company that rebuilt it went out of business so my warranty is useless. Place had been in business for over 25 years. Unreal.
    Question is should I get a NEW crate engine or fix this one. I can afford a new engine, but that doesn't mean it's affordable. What do you guys think? Also, what kind of price should I be looking at for a 350 or 383?

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Fixing a blown head gasket isn't all that hard, if you've got a place to work on the truck. If you can work on it, I'd try that first, then look for a replacement engine.

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The price of a crate engine will depend alot on what kind of torque and horsepower you want. What engine do you have now ? If it's just a blown head gasket, I would just put a new one on there and be done with it.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Take your old heads and have them plained. This will ensure a level surface and a little higher compression.