Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine/Tranny questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84blazerwhoopee, Jul 28, 2004.

1. 84blazerwhoopee

84blazerwhoopee Registered Member

Hi guys here's the question.....I have a an 84 K5, engine is missing pretty badly due to what appears to be a bad valve. It's an old rebuilt, so i am thinking of buying a new long block and dropping it in. I want something that has some towing power for a boat, and I am leaking fluid from the tranny now as well.

Would I be better with a new/improved auto tranny that matches up with the motor? What type?

The blazer is stock all the way. Air conditioning too.

Any thoughts?

Randy /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Wheres the tranny leaking from ? Could be an easy fix if its the pan or the rear seal . All small block , big block , 90 degree v-6 , and 6.2-6.5 diesels will mate to your trans and engine mounts on the frame . So it will be easy for you to replace it . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How long have you owned the truck? I am almost sure that the original th700 has been gone through and my question is do you know how many miles are on the rebuild and was it upgraded during the build? If so do you remember what was done? Like said above, the leak could be something simple or it could be old age catching up with the tranny.

As far as the motor goes....The goodwrench 350 long block is an excellent choice to start out with and if you are looking for a few extra ponies you could pop in a performance cam and an aluminum performer intake and that should help give it an extra 30-40 HP. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wouldn't do much more than that with a crate motor because that should be enough to pull the average size boat without much fuss. Also what gear ratio do you have and what is your current tire diameter? 3.08's and 31's make it hard to tow and if that is what you have an axle swap to some 3.73 10B would be cheap and easy. You would be amazed on what the difference in towing power is between the super tall 3.08's and the better 3.73's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84blazerwhoopee

84blazerwhoopee Registered Member

You guys don't know how much I appreciate your help!

I have some 36 inch tires on it right now, and it's a stock 1/2 ton K5.

When I bought it, I got it from a young lady in fresno calif. and she did not know how many miles were on the re-build. I have owned about a year. The mileage is 140k.

I have not been able to determine where the tranny fluid is coming from, but when I get home I will check. ( I am on the road working at present)

I have been looking for motors on ebay and am trying to figure out what to get.

My biggest problem is space: ole' knarly-butt won't let me use the garage as it houses her burb and if/when I get a motor/tranny to drop in I'll have to do it FAST. I'm new to this sort of work, and don't have a lift, so I'm thinking I may have to farm it out to someone.

Anyone know a good mech here in Minneapolis?

Randy /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as the motor and tranny swap goes....it's just nuts and bolts man. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But if you really don't want to do it and have the cash to pay someone go for it! It's easier that way. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

With towing your boat I would get rid of the 36's for some 33's...that or regear the diffs but that gets expensive.