Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine & Tranny swap ?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Joe C, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Joe C

Joe C Registered Member

I want to swap out the 350 and trany from a 77 surburban into my 72 jimmy. Will I have any compatability problems? The Jimmy has a 350 and I think the TH400 trany and I think the same trany is in the burban. Im also hoping to take the Engine and the tranny out in one peice. Can this be done with the front clip on. (This Is my first time pulling an engine.) Any tips would be appreicated.

Thanks

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

You can pull the engine and trans. as one. As far as taking the front clip off to do it I have never done that, to a running vehicle. On trucks that I part out I have. My answer to you is this. If your going to pull the engine and trans. out of both trucks. Do the donor truck first, that way you will get an idea on how everything goes, and it won't be as intimadating on the "real" swap.
    IMO pulling the clip in itself is a chore for a novice, however it does make the swap easier. So weight the diffrences.
    Now the engines and transmissions. Make sure your Jimmy is indeed equipt. with the same trans. as the Sub. Look at the pan on both transmissions, a th400 tranny pan looks like Texas, a th350 is a retangle almost square even. The two are not interchangable as the end that bolts to your transfer case is diffrent and the 400 is longer than the 350. If both trucks have the same transfer case however then you can swap the adapter over to the new truck along with the tranny. Or if they are indeed the same than your in business as well. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Now the engines on the other hand will fit with no problem. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif A bolt in affair as they say.
    Hope that helps you. Just one other thing if you could fill in your profile more it would help us help you more. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I pulled the front clip off mine for a recent engine R&R....it seemed like it was going to be a lot of work, but there are only about 12 bolts to remove, and a couple of electrical plugs to "unplug"....

It was a LOT easier to work on once the clip was off. Two strong guys can lift the whole front off too......