Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine, tranny, what???? Problem and need help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oh-zj-io, Oct 5, 2006.

1. oh-zj-io

oh-zj-io Registered Member

Hey !

I have a problem that I need some input on.

84 K10 305 auto 4X4

Getting onto the highway and it loses power and dies. No particular unusual noises or activity.

Will not turn over. Battery is fine. You can hear the starter kick in and hit the flywheel but nothing turns. Towed it home. Pulled the plugs and tried to turn the crank bolt with a wrench. Can't turn it over.

So is it the motor has seized? It was down less than a quart of oil. Remember, no unusual noise or anything, it just died and now the motor won't turn. Might it be the torque converter locked up? Any chance the tranny has locked up? I would have expected there to have been some warning or something before the motor seized?!?!

Anything I can check before I go changing a motor out??

Help!!!

Thanks,
    Al

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try this..

Take the spark plugs out,and see if it'll crank over with them out--you may have blown a head gasket,and filled a cylinder or two with water,and hydro-locked the motor up..you could try using a pry bar on the flexplate to gently coax it loose..but dont force it--you might have a broken piston ring,or a rod that came loose (though you should have heard something!)..:eek1:

The tranny pump might have locked up too--take the converter bolts out,and try turning the motor over,before condemming the engine..

I got a good engine free once,because someone said "it seized up and blew!"..they were about to scrap it!.:doah:

After fiddling with it,I found it would turn in the opposite direction of normal rotation,but only 3/4 of a turn!--then it started turning 3/4 of a turn in both directions..I saw the timing cover bulge out, and heard scraping noises--pulling it off revealed the chain had jumped off,and was wedged between the cam gear and timing cover!..after replacing the chain and gears,I had a good running "free" 350!.:laugh:

:crazy:

3. oh-zj-io

oh-zj-io Registered Member

Hey!

Thanks for the response. We did take the plugs out and try to turn the crank...no go.

I am not an engine or tranny guy. I'd be willing to tackle an engine swap, cause it's remove then replace and I CAN keep wires and plumbing straight. But as far as your suggestion of taking the converter bolts out...unless it's spelled out in the Haynes manual or someone can give me a quick how to (or where at) then I'll be lost. I'll check the Haynes when I get home from work today, and/or, maybe you or someone else could give me a how, where, what.

I'd really rather not have to do the motor swap for nothing thing either!!

Thanks,
    Al

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

The only problem you have is that to remove the torque converter bolts you must be able to turn the engine over. Last engine I had the seized was a pain. I had to support the trans with a jack and pull the engine with the torque converter still bolted on to get it out. Might want to pull the flywheel cover off anyway just to insure that one of the bolts didn't come out and lodge in between the flywheel and engine or the converter and bellhousing though.