Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Transplant S.O.S.!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sexysilverado, May 17, 2000.

1. sexysilverado

sexysilverado Newbie

Help!!! Found healthy, strong EFI 350(from '87 K5 Silverado) to replace the recently expired carbed 305 in my '86 Silvy. But now, after weeks of slow motion "green light" updates from my slow-but-steady mechanic, he informs me just today that the air intakes are the wrong size/type and my "new" engine can't be used. All my instincts and most of my homework suggest he's dead wrong. Anyone out there shed some light on this for me?
    Sexysilverado

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

To me that sounds about right, you should be able to use it, unless somebody else knows why it wouldn't fit please tell us.

LOVE MY GREEN GIANT!!!

3. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Well, if you got an engine that was complete than you shouldn't need to switch the air intakes?!?(intake manifold?) The '87 is a TBI and the only diff between the '87 and '86 are the intake manifolds for the diff. applications (carb and TBI). The bolt patterns are the same on both intakes so they're interchangable. Hope that helped... if you got any more Q's e-mail me. Oh yeah... who is your mechanic and does he know anything about the SBC??

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

4. sexysilverado

sexysilverado Newbie

Help a girl out here. Know most of the abbreviations, but what's SBC?
    Sexysilverado

5. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

SBC stands for SMALL BLOCK CHEVY engine

6. sexysilverado

sexysilverado Newbie

Thanks.
    Sexysilverado

7. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

it'd help if you filled out your profile... where are you located?

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

8. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Wow another woman??? Where are you located! Ok,ok just kinda exciting. Well just one question, what are "air intakes"? Intake ports? Air tubes to the carb/tbi? What do you mean by this. As previously posted the 87'to 95' intake manifolds will bolt on to 86' and prior engines (and vise versa). But the two center bolts on the both sides of the intake will need to be drilled out to alow the bolt to line up (they changed the angle). But wait! As I read you post again, and are you just using the engine from the 87' or everything (the fuel injection also)? Any which way you can overcome any small problems between the 2 years of engines, the difference are small. Hope it helps! Matt

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

the center bolts are at different angles. the newer bolts are more upanddown than the older ones. b@m had a kit to correct this problem with wedges to give you a bolting surface.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I wonder if she got all the stuff to go with the new engine, wiring harness, sensors, computer etc, if not he might be saying the efi will not work and he needs to put carb intake on the new one for it too work.... I have not played with anything past regular carburation....so you guys explain it to the little Lady...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

11. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

If you are planning to put a carb back on and don't want to mess with drilling the old manifold, Edelbrock makes an intake that fits the 87 engine and a standard carb. I did this on my old 87 350 with a Edelbrock carb.

Performer #2104 (non egr)
    Performer #3706 (egr)
    This came from Edelbrocks site:
    Designed for street 262-400 c.i.d. Chevy V8s with 1987-95 cast iron heads with canted center bolt holes. #2104 is stock replacement/street legal part for 302, 327, 350 V8s with 1987-95 heads with OEM 4-bbl. carb.; except stock equipped EGR. #3706 is stock replacement/street legal part for 305, 350 V8s with OEM 4-bbl. carb.; 1987-95. Both accept late-model waterneck, air-conditioning, alternator, H.E.I. and have rear water crossovers.

Shawn
    87 K5

12. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

More tips on initials:
    EGR = Exhaust gas recirculation, meaning that a part meets regulations for pollution controls.
    CID = Cubic Inches of Displacement
    4 Bbl carb = a carburetor with four barrels for air intake.
    HEI = High Energy Ignition (not so sure about this one).

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]