Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine transporting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Panther, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. I did a search on this topic, but didn't come up with anything; if anyone has links to info or past threads, that's greatly appreciatd too.

I am buying an engine and tranny for my Sonoma from a buddy of mine and am meeting him to pick it up. The question is what is the best way to box this thing up. Putting it on a pallet or something similar would be perfect, that way we could slide it from truck to truck. But how do you secure it to a pallet without putting all of the weight on the oil pan while making sure it's not going to flip over?

Any tips/experiences are appreciated. Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Do you have a rimless tire? Most of my engines sit on a tire for extra support.

2" straps are your friend for this and other things....

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah I gotta say a tire works great to. If you can get a small pallet and set the engine on a tire in the middle that would work great and keep it stable. Hope this helps....

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

may wan tot go with two tires if tranny is on there too, maybe a smaller one for the tranny, i like to use different sized pieces of lumber like 6x6 or 4x4 etc to shim under both sides of engine somewhere to keep frim tipping around also along with the tire/s

good luck

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you wanted to buy something they sell thoes engine crateles(sp?)that stand the engine up right on the floor.
    Or chunks of firewood and ratchet straps should work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif