Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by showmeburb86, Nov 14, 2006.

1. showmeburb86

showmeburb86 Registered Member

My 86 burb, 350 carburated, auto a/c, 4x4 is stalling out. It had previously sat for about a year, being driven only once or twice. It ran fine for a couple of weeks. Added gas, not problems. Suddenly stalled out and very hard to start. Would start, run then die. Finally towed home.
    Changed fuel filter which was very plugged. Plugs looked good but have not put new wires,cap and rotor in yet. Test drove on the city and street and all was well. Until...I got a call from my son who said it was acting up again. Went and installed new fuel filter and started right up and got about 1 mile and it died out again. Towed home. Started and let idle and get to operating temp. All was fine. Just purred along. Am checking the thermostatic air cleaner to make sure it is working. Any thoughts? Fuel pump? Electrical? Any thoughts would be very helpful.

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'd remove the carb and flush it out. Naw, I'd open it up. I'm thinking some crud has gotten by the filter and is in the bowls, jets, or somewhere.

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I'd remove the carb and flush it out. Naw, I'd open it up. I'm thinking some crud has gotten by the filter and is in the bowls, jets, or somewhere.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would check the tank get it flushed, then flush the lines to the front, then change the fuel filter and then clean the carb and you should be good to go.
    You might not need to tear into the carb just the small filter at the base of the carb.

5. showmeburb86

showmeburb86 Registered Member

Thanks. Is "getting the tank flushed" something we should have done by a pro?

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Definately bad gas. Bad gas can ruin your day really quick when a valve hangs open from the now sticky varnish smelling gas and hits a piston and breaks the valve and or piston. I've seen it many more times than i care to remember.