Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbluethunder, Apr 1, 2002.

1. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

Having troubles with the power of my engine. im trying to make this engine last as long as i can but not running like this. it has plenty of guts around town but as soon as i try to cruise at highway speeds i have to pretty much floor it to sustain 65mph. i've replace the fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil, timing chain, and had the cat flow tested. none of these have fixed my problem. if the problem is that the 305 really sucks this bad then i'm ok with that...but if it isn't i'd like to be able to fix it.

btw...i've run a compression test and all cylinders are between 155-170lbs, except for #3 which is 130lbs.

thanks all for reading this lengthy email and i hope theres some genious out there who can help. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

...russell

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The 305 is your problem. It is getting old. My old 305 was in good running order, but you had to keep your foot into it for it to get it to go 75. If I were you, I would try and get a performance exhaust system to try and help the motor out. Get headers, and a true dual or 3" high flow set up. This way, you can still use all the components on your next motor so you won't loose any money. Do mods to your motor that you can transfer over to your next motor is my main suggestion. MSD ignition might help a little, or maybe an Edelbrock intake. Things along those lines could help out your motor now, and help out your next motor too. Hope this helps. Bottom line is your 305 sucks that much.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Do you guys have emmisions to worry about down there? If not, rip off that cat and install some headers. Run 2 1/4" pipes out to a pair of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers(they pass more CFM than Flowmasters).

I did all the above and really can't believe how much more high-end power I have. You could also try installing a recurve kit in your distributor.......

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree... tired old boat anchor under the hood. You also may want to install a tcah ans see your rpm's. A lot of these trucks are equipped with cruddy 3.08 gears. They will lug the engine big time on the freeway unless you are going like 80+ mph. 3.73's or 4.10's would be a big improvement if you have OD

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

That reaslly sucks if 305's are that bad. My 350 with 35's and 4.56's are good on the highway. Maybe half throttle to maintain 75.

6. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

what are your rpm's at, i've got 4.10's and at 65 mph it's at about 2,000

7. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

right now with 33's im running 1500rpm's with od...because of the tires im running around w/o od and its about 2200rpms...still no power but there's some. 65 is about as fast as i can cruise without putting my foot to the floor the entire time.