Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine trouble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Dan, Dec 9, 2002.

1. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

ok engine is idleing like s**t black smoke comin from tail pipe backfires hesitates took it to a shop they said there is no compression on cylinder no 7 say it needs a valve job say that will fix it i am not knowledgable when it comes to engine work or very much else when ithink about it they want 1600.00 for a valve job cough cough is this even the problem seems like to much money for me like i even really have it to begin with is this something i could do myself how long should it take what is involved what else should i address while doing this the most ive done on engine is spark plugs timing chain and gears general tune up stuff /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif sorry for the book

2. I think books use punctuation! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

Forgive Me!It was the rough draft.

4. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

anybody /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

A book is what you will need.
    Buy the Haynes manual and read the section about what you need to know and look at the pics. If you feel you can do it then go ahead and anybody here would be glad to assist if any preblem arrises, you can even buy a better manual if you find that you can deal with it after reading the haynes.
    The haynes is under $15 so it's a small enough investment to check your capabilities.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You could put on a set of after market heads for cheaper then that !!!!!!!

7. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

that seems a little steep when you could replace the heads a lot cheaper like z3pr said, and thats something you can do pretty easily, head swaps arent too bad, just get a manual and follow the instructions...you should be able to do it in an afternoon if you've got the right tools..

you might want to get a second opinion if you're not certain thats the problem, then consider getting a set of aftermarket heads.

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'm only paying 1800 for my 350 fully rebuilt, with new components in heads....

That price is fuwked up...

Do what Z3PR said... get new heads...

I bought a RUNNING 350 w/70,000 miles for 50 bucks.. deals are out there...